Appreciate your help with a translation

A close up picture of a section of the blade would be helpful, but judging from the extra pic it looks like it was probably handmade, but probably not tamahagane and oil-quenched. Essentially, showato not gendaito. Hope that helps (or at least doesnt hurt)! :)

Tamahagane is the traditional Japanese steel used in Samurai sword construction. It is derived from a different smelting process than modern mass production steel. It is more desirable to have in sword construction.

In collector terms, Gendaito refers to modern blades (1876-1945) forged with tamahagane and quenched in water. Showato refers to modern blades either forged without tamahagane (using mill still instead) and/or quenched in oil or another substance. Thats the high level difference.

The above was almost literally copied from this site: http://home.earthlink.net/~steinrl/showato.htm. It can provide further info to help you understand your sword.

Hope that helps!

Blademan,

Your sword looks to be in great shape! Well cared for all these years.

I would work at getting those fat fingerprints off asap. Pick up a good quality sword care kit asap.

You have a good WW2 artifact, in good shape.

My guess would be showato

Enjoy!

Mark G

Matt and Mark Thank you very much for your help.

I must admit I missed the tang stamp. I'll try and get a closeup picture of it when I have access to the sword.

I examined the blade this morning and noticed the blade does have a grain to it, which I was happy to see, and do believe it is hand made.

I am pleased to own this sword and look forward to learnng more about these swords and picking up more of them.

Can anyone tell me if these fingerprints on my blade can be removed?

Lastly, could anyone give me some idea what a sword like this would be worth? I have no idea.

Thanks again,

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..