Help identify old sword and it’s origin!

Bryan_h15

Please help me identify this older sword and it’s origins. Is it machine made or traditionally made? The tang appears old and rusted with file markings. The mei is clearly visible and only stamped on one side of the nakago. The shirasaya contains information on the exterior of both sides that I cannot translate. Any help is greatly appreciated. Cheers. 

0371571B-975E-43EF-A5DB-35037C1BA076.jpeg

1 minute ago, Stephen said:

Ok you posted as i did. Looks like Yukihisa...with above mei pinged to remove

Thank you kindly for the reply. I’ve loaded a few images, if better images of the mei are needed I can attempt to do so with a secondary light shining at an angle. Thank you again! 

8 hours ago, SteveM said:

Sayagaki is by 清水孝教 (Shimizu Takanari - other possible readings for the given name), dated January 1930.

He was a scholar of Japanese swords and author of a Japanese sword index c.1925.

Thank you very much! Do you believe the sword is in line to the sayagaki? Forged date to be around 1920s-30s?  

Dear Bryan.

Trystan has translated the writing on the shirasaya and the sword matches this.  Hoshu Takada ju Fujiwara Yukihisa saku.  Forgive me if this is obvious but that translates to something like, Made by Yukihisa of the Fujiwara in Takada in Bungo province.  In this case it is quite likely that the sword did not have any additional kanji though it is tempting to think one or two might have been erased above the ones that are there now. This means that it is an older sword made by a prolific school, the Bungo Takada school.  My references list four smiths, working between 1480 and 1661, my personal guess would be that this is a Koto sword so perhaps one of the two working round 1570 - 1580.

It is quite common for the sayagaki to be written well after the sword was made and in this case it was written to confirm the mei as Yukihisa but also to add that he was from the Bungo Takada school.

All the best.

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank you kindly folks. I greatly appreciate you helping me get information on this piece. It has sat for many years and it’s great to know the history behind it after all this time. Not once did I speculate it’s age but I’m glad I inquired for information. Thank you Steve, Trystan, Geraint, and Stephen once again! I appreciate your help in deciphering

• Thanks 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..