How is the NBTHK referred to in Japanese when talking?

piryohae3

Typically when I've heard it referred to in Japanese videos or audio, the full "日本美術刀剣保存協会" is referenced.  Nihon Bijutsu (日本美術) just means "Japanese Art", or "Japanese Museum", essentially.  Maybe 日本美術刀 is used as a short form, which is essentially "Japanese Art Swords"?  

Sword museum is "Token Hakubutsukan".  With reference to the NBTHK headquarters in Sumida-ku (which is the same location as the museum), the term "Honbu" is heard on occasion.  I don't know of any other achronyms or portmanteaus in use, but it doesn't mean there aren't any among native speakers.

Just for clarification: when “spelling” 日 刀 保 it’s ni-tō-ho, but when spoken, the “t” kind of doubles, and it’s nit-tō-ho.

I’m also quite anal when it comes to the use of macrons to indicate a long vowel: writing and/or pronouncing yūki (courage) yuki (snow) maybe harmless and even funny, but there are plenty of other Japanese words that sound almost the same, and using them in the wrong situation might confuse, disrespect, or even offend the person you are speaking to. This will most likely not happen on the NMB, but that's my story and I'm sticking to it.   :glee:

• Like 2

Argh!!! I often leave out the macrons when writing Japanese in English...even on this board (go-men kudasai Guido Dono). The reason of course is I don't know how to do them on the keyboard.

About abbreviations in Japanese...members might like to know that the Japanese abbreviate just about everything...e.g.Genshi Bakudan (Atomic Bomb) is usually GenBaku. Even English words used there, such as Poket Monster "Poketo Monstar"  became PokeMon (the board game). Lots of fun...

In view of certain anal statements above, an old school Gaijin Martial Artist of my long acquaintance, who was briefly working as an assistant for a Japanese firm in the 1970's, met with the board of Directors and proudly referred to himself as the under manager's Koumon, when he meant to use Koin.

He said that he could hear the sound of Italian mohair mix stitch suit seams creaking as they tried not to register his gaffe.

Years later, he described it as more than a little like a certain scene in Monty Python's Life of Brian.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kx_G2a2hL6U

As members of this esteemed organ are of tender disposition, I will allow you to request that your manservant google the words Koumon and Koin, and thus preserve group modesty.

:)

PS, I'm with George here, how do you get the macrons to work on a UK keyboard (Luddite moment). Thus avoiding the wrath of Guido..... :rotfl:

Also George, the term "Pocket Monster", has an entirely different meaning in certain parts of the fair Georgian City of Bath.

• Like 1

Just for clarification: when “spelling” 日 刀 保 it’s ni-tō-ho, but when spoken, the “t” kind of doubles, and it’s nit-tō-ho.

I’m also quite anal when it comes to the use of macrons to indicate a long vowel: writing and/or pronouncing yūki (courage) yuki (snow) maybe harmless and even funny, but there are plenty of other Japanese words that sound almost the same, and using them in the wrong situation might confuse, disrespect, or even offend the person you are speaking to. This will most likely not happen on the NMB, but that's my story and I'm sticking to it.   :glee:

Entertaining in entirety, but for vowel importance start this at 2:20

• Like 4

Also George, the term "Pocket Monster", has an entirely different meaning in certain parts of the fair Georgian City of Bath.

Ah, Malcolm,

I remember Bath...I remember Pocket Monsters too, in fact I had a discussion about them with a maiden named Jane...Jane Austen she said...could she have been fibbing?

(my revered ancestors came from Beckington, just over the Somerset line to the south).

Regards,

PS, do you think we've led this OP astray?

• Like 2

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..