Translation Help With Japanese Yumi

Chishiki

Mark,

I am sorry, I can't help you with the MEI, but (having been a longtime KYUDO practioner) this looks like a beautiful bow! In case this has some age, please refrain from putting a string on it or even use it! Old (traditional) YUMI are made with fish glue which tends to become brittle after about 60 years. This applies also to the bamboo backing and the lacquer, so damage is possible if it was used. 

Enjoy it!

Mark,

I am sorry, I can't help you with the MEI, but (having been a longtime KYUDO practioner) this looks like a beautiful bow! In case this has some age, please refrain from putting a string on it or even use it! Old (traditional) YUMI are made with fish glue which tends to become brittle after about 60 years. This applies also to the bamboo backing and the lacquer, so damage is possible if it was used.

Enjoy it!

Thanks for the info. Yes...even though I don’t know anything about them or how to date it, it does look nice quality. I like the way at the high points the lacquer has gotten a red pigment showing, which I think developes with age. I will take some pics of the bow tomorrow. Cheers

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..