Another Shinsa Translation Help.

AndyMcK

Hello there!

Received good news from US shinsa and now waiting to receive the papers on later date. But before that I would be grateful if someone can read the notes on hamon made by shinsa team. :)

Most interested in the shigemasa and gassaku blade’s ones but others appreciated as well! Can provide some photos of the actual blades as well if someone is interested.

Thank you very much!

-Antti

post-2961-0-33217100-1525025134_thumb.jpeg

post-2961-0-33287200-1525025169_thumb.jpeg

post-2961-0-83796200-1525025229_thumb.jpeg

post-2961-0-20703900-1525025257_thumb.jpeg

post-2961-0-59845500-1525025352_thumb.jpeg

post-2961-0-54581300-1525025650_thumb.jpeg

Hi Andy,

Here’s my best shot at translating the descriptions of the hamon from the worksheets. It’s not all there unfortunately, but hopefully it will give you a flavour of what is written and maybe someone else can help fill the gaps.

Best,

John

1.      の中直刃匂い口

Futome no chu suguba nioi guchi shizumu: thick, middle-sized suguba, the nioi guchi is indistinct.

2.      湾れ

O notare. Large notare.

3.      の目乱れ[  ] [   ]入る

Kakubatta gonome midare [  ]ni ashi [  ] ku iru.

Squarish gonome midare with ashi included. There’s a little more to this but I can’t make out a couple of bits.

4.      足長 の目乱れ

Ashi naga gonome midare – gonome midare with long ashi.

5.      ある互の目乱れ

Totsu oo no aru gonome midare ashi iri. Convex and concave gonome midare with ashi included. I’m not sure I have 100% of this but it gives the gist, I believe.

6.      This is the one that got me. There’s choji midare (丁子乱れ) but I’m not 100% sure about the rest of it.

• Like 3

Thank you Piers!

Markus was kind and translated them for me, it is nice to see how they have made notes on the sheet and what kind of terms they use, especially when you can study the blades and refer to these notes.

Antti

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..