Recent Purchase. Is the signature Tadayoshi?

Lilbuddha

Hello all-

I recently purchased a sword from an antique dealer, who is going out of business. I would like to know if the signature on the sword is Tadayoshi or not.

I am a novice to sword collecting as of three days ago, so I have a lot to learn and have been researching as much as I can store in my mind.

I've attached pictures of the nakago with signature and nakago-jiri.

From comparing the signature I believe the first two symbols are for the Hizen-to region. The third symbol I believe means province? Not 100% though. The fourth symbol I've seen described as "made by" and the last two I believe are Tada and Yoshi respectively. Am I close here or completely off base?

Would I be able to tell which generation this sword was forged by?

I've also been reading that Tadayoshi is prone to forgeries as well. Are there easy tells that would point out forgeries?

Thanks for your time!

Take care,

Lilbuddha

post-590-14196742337232_thumb.jpg

post-590-14196742338567_thumb.jpg

post-590-14196742339963_thumb.jpg

Definitely gimei, or fake signature. In this case, the easiest way to tell it's a fake signature is the second character, the "zen" of Hi-zen. The Tadayoshi school wrote the "zen" character differently. The stroke in the lower middle center of the character is written properly, but the Tadayoshi school put that stroke on the outside right of the right hand verticle stroke. Find an authentic signature of any of the mainline Hizen smiths and you will see the difference at once. So much to learn and so little time, but keep learning.

Ed

Jacques-

What about the shape of the nakago makes it gemei? Do you know where I can find pictures of a true Tadayoshi to compare?

Also, I was told that this sword and a few others were brought back from a serviceman who served during WWII. If that is true is there a way to tell what period the sword is from?

Now I'm curious as to when forgeries for Tadayoshis' were popular.

Thanks Ed and Jacques for your input!

Lilbuddha

Hi (Please sign posts with a name and initial as per the rules, thanks)

Tadayoshi is probably one of the (if not THE) most forged signatures on Japanese swords. These gimei were done throughout the ages, so dating them is difficult.

If you do a google search for Hizen Tadayoshi you will come up with plenty of examples. The ones with papers will give you a good comparrison.

Regards,

Brian

Hi,

Jacques-

What about the shape of the nakago makes it gemei? Do you know where I can find pictures of a true Tadayoshi to compare?

Very easy to explain, the nakago of your blade has a big lack of "elegance".

Tadayoshi's nakago are long and very well done with a relatively narrow nakago-jiri

Un exemple coming from the book "the school of Hizen Tadayoshi" written by Roger Robertshaw

tadayoshinakagocs5.th.jpg

Just a question, is it a katana or a wakizashi?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..