... and another three, G, H and I ...

docliss

I am attaching images of three more iron tsuba, in a search for some information as to their attribution. I hope that Brian will tell me if he believes me to be monopolising the message board with my enquiries.

Tsuba G

This is an openwork guard, rendered in a dark, granular iron. It measures 7.0 cm – 6.5 cm, and has a rounded, chrysanthemoid rim. The design incorporates bracken shoots, flying geese, ginger roots and a ni-hichi mon. The ryo-hitsu are ogival and only one retains its shakudo sekigane. The seppa-dai is rather pointed in outline, and contains several generations of copper sekigane.

Am I correct in thinking this to be Akasaka work?

Tsuba H

A heavy, openwork guard in a darkly patinated iron, this has a thick, square mimi enclosing two, crossed takaha. These are depicted in a low relief engraving with kebori detail, and have a rich brown, brass ten-zogan decoration. There are two ryo-hitsu within thick, solid rims, and the rather rectagonal nakago-hitsu — is this what Torigoye means by ‘koban shape’ — is well worn.

? Ko-Shoami work, but the brass ten-zogan has me puzzled.

Tsuba I

Nade-kaku-gata, and measuring 6.9 cm – 6.5 cm, this openwork tsuba has a darkly patinated and slightly polished surface. Within the rounded rim are depicted, in positive silhouette, two double-diamond mon linked to four bracken shoots. The ryo-hitsu are of a conventional size and shape, and the nakago-hitsu has lead sekigane.

Is this another Akasaka guard?

With thanks, John L.

post-64-14196742124508_thumb.jpg

post-64-14196742125919_thumb.jpg

post-64-14196742127468_thumb.jpg

John would be

G: Maybe late Akasaka (like Tadanori or maybe one of the last Tadatoki) Other possabilities are Tosa Myochin, and as a roughy, Higo, but the mimi is a bit round I think.

H: I think the seppa dai is a bit wide and squat for Ko Shoami, I think Shoami would be a safer bet though Kyo Shomai might be a go. I think I'd put it to early Edo though.

I: I think late Akasaka for this also. The 3 Pine Mon (Matsukawabishi) is common in Owari, Akasaka etc.

Both the Akasaka (??) tsuba also look on the thin side, like 4 mm or so. That puts them as late as well. The earlier guards were 5.5 to 6.5 mm thick. Quite solid.

That's my best effort after a day of the Shinkensen and trudging cold mountains :-)

Best

Rich

I hope that Brian will tell me if he believes me to be monopolising the message board with my enquiries.

On the contrary..

Given the nature of this forum, and the fact that serious discussions of Nihonto and tosogu are what we are here for, I welcome as many of these as you would like to post. I find them valuable lessons, especially with the tsuba collectors giving their opinions so freely. Keep them comming :)

I really like most of your tsuba too. I think that the "old iron" guys are really getting to me nowdays and my interests are increasing daily :D

I really must pick up a copy of your Namban tsuba book soon.

Brian

I would agree with Rich T on the attributions. I was thinking

maybe Owari on the first one, then I noticed the pointed seppa dai

which is typical Akasaka. Same on the third. Shoami is a good

bet on number two. All three nice tsuba. Congrats.

Rich S

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..