Armor Restor

Stephen

Four of us Francisco Couthino, Brent Tanner, Ian Bottomley and I have written a four section article on restoration/conservation. Part A is on Armour B on Swords C on shirasaya D on kodogu (fittings and koshirae). We examine differing approaches that compares and contrast museums' approaches, collector approaches etc. Part A was published in the recently mailed Newsletter, B is at the editor and will be published in the next issue C and D have been written but are undergoing final revisions.

Joining the JSSUS gets you 6 issues of a Newsletter in English that has articles on swords, fittings armour etc. The JSSUS continues to pay for the translation of significant works from Japanese to English and publish those works. One issue of last year's Newsletter was a translation on the Journal Me no Me  on Higo tsuba. I apologise for the commercial but once I started I got carried away.

Regards,

Barry Hennick

Director/Ombudsman JSSUS

visit the JSSUS at www.jssus.org

complete novice on this subject, Seen on FB where a restorer was loving his job and the fact he made them look dirty again, is that the goal for what you want in your armor?

Stephen, that would be Dave Thatcher, the host of the Samurai Armour Forum. If you were restoring only one item of armor such as one kote (armored sleeve) and the rest of the armor was several hundered years old, the newly restored kote would sitck out like a sore thumb. I for one would want it to match the rest of the armor in looks, I think that would be an art, being able to match the newly restored to the unrestored.

• Like 1

Eric 

I agree 100%, as you know most of the Antique world left old is the best condition. Only in Nihonto do we re-polish, the questions that come to mind is if your a master could one make new old to sell as old? Not saying Dave would, it just seems to open fraud. 

BTW i take nothing away from Dave he does lovely work.

My 2 cents worth.

When the item belongs to someone else I will undertake the work as instructed. A restorers goal is to preserve as much of the original as possible, but to ensure that the finished item will remain robust enough to last for years to come. This can be divided to three stages:

Preservation
Preservation work includes cleaning, repairing and consolidation of urushi lacquer.

Restoration
Where damage has exceeded any preservation process and requires restoration. This includes for example, rebuilding damaged lacquer using only traditional techniques and materials.

Replacement
When an item has parts that are either missing or too badly damaged to repair, and must be replaced. This is the case with silk lacing and the silks used on armoured sleeves and thigh guards. Often with helmets, the original liners and cords are missing.

As to artifical patina, yes that is often the requirement as the item needs to fit in with the other components. Otherwise it's going to look like your car went through a mud bath and you only cleaned one door panel. As Eric says it will stand out like a sore thumb otherwise. I do take the time to talk about each item with the owners and offer my best opinion, but ultimately the customer is paying for a service. 

About the restorers. There are no professional qualifications for Japanese armour restoration.  As restorers we have to either gleam some tips from each other or discover them by trail and error. The best restorers are the ones that have been able to handle hundreds of parts of armours in all stages of destruction in order to understand the methods used. I will match and replace parts of armours that require it. If I do that for an item that I'm offering for sale I provide full disclosure. I'm rather proud of the work, and have nothing to hide.

Learning how to restore using traditional materials is a life long task, but understanding how to make something look older is just as complicated. Some restorers will not artificially age an item simply because they don't know how to.

As to fakery, well come on, we see amazing fakes in some of the best collections. There are people that will do this in every art stream.

I'll end on the paradox.
Restored armour is dulled down to look older, old armour is cleaned up to look brighter. The art is to create the middle ground between the two.

• Like 2

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..