Cheap Gunto? With A Problem.

marivo

Arived today, bought for 275 dollar. Little bit disappointed cause the Tsuka is not mounted with mekugi.

I think somebody took of the Tsuka to look for a signature and glued it back!!???

How to fix this problem, i think i have to remove the leather of the Tsuka.

But first the main question, is it a Gunto or a fake?? Total length in Koshirae is 37 inch.

Here some pics.

Foto-SIQOKIRQ-D.jpg

Foto-KVD4FE8D-D.jpg

Foto-EVIO8AW6-D.jpg

Foto-WTYZ6ZYE-D.jpg

Foto-DCYBJYLE-D.jpg

Foto-LD8T738H-D.jpg

Foto-VOWBBHTN-D.jpg

Foto-CCLMEPUG-D.jpg

Foto-LDTQJJTA-D.jpg

Foto-RLFOBRD6-D.jpg

Foto-O6KEUVZG-D.jpg

Foto-FY3LJ8MY-D.jpg

Foto-QNAFYTGM-D.jpg

Foto-YO6VVDFV-D.jpg

I'd return it and buy a good book.

The nakago also looks questionable IMO. As Brian says cleaned of the glue we'd be able to tell more. Even if not returned you can probably get what you paid for it but this probably isn't a keeper.

Maybe a real blade that was cut and ground and abused. Not sure though, it definitely lacks a lot of the features and perfect lines. Need someone to examine it in hand. It was badly abused either way. Look like grinding marks lower on the tang, and maybe real yasurime higher up :dunno:

Brian

It looks like the shinogi line also isn't strong. Which it would be even on a non traditionally made gunto. I think it may be real, although greatly altered. Looks like someone over cleaned it to me. And probably grinder the nakago like Brian suggests.

I could be wrong. Generally my advice is worth the price.

Even for 275 you did ok. You've probably learned a lot.

A shotgun job? Could be a real blade and real mounts but not started life together, and the blade ground to fit the mounts and scabbard/saya. This would explain the lack of a mekugi, the mekugi-ana would not match up. The copper habaki is a good sign as the Chinese fakes tend to go for brass which can be cast, copper has to be hand made.  With the current price of a complete Gunto, I think you did ok on the deal. 

Agree with Dave and sounds logical. The end of the nakago was definitely hit with a grinder. Logically to make it fit the mounts.
Would suggest seeing if you can get a cheap window done to see if it has a hamon.

Brian

I removed the leather wrap, the laces where to far gone and i couldn't save them. I put the wrap in a leather softener.

3 old iron tires and one new are wrapped around the Tsuka.

I handmade a "mekugi" and made a real tight fit cause the Tsuka never has to come of again.

Now some new leather laces and try to rescue the wrap.

Foto-ZUXXOQZX-D.jpg

Foto-QVAJUGVP-D.jpg

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..