Old Sword- Assistance Please

Greetings Everybody . I have the chance to purchase two Japanese swords today. One sword has kanji on the tang. There is another sword I'm curious about. I've heard that two holes on the tang usually means older sword. Is it possible to tell how old this sword might be. I can't get the handle off here unless I use some power or by tapping it a little bit and do not want to do that in front of auctioneers. From the pictures provided can you tell me anything about this sword. The blade has a very nice temper line but has a few dry rust spots I believe. Thank you very much for anything information. Also providing a photo of tang of the ww2 sword for possible translation of smith. Thank you so much for any help and knowledge here.

Kind regards,Michael

post-842-0-37329500-1420297740_thumb.jpg

post-842-0-78650500-1420297753_thumb.jpg

post-842-0-54912500-1420297770_thumb.jpg

post-842-0-97003400-1420297780_thumb.jpg

post-842-0-56636900-1420297964_thumb.jpg

2 Holes does not make it older though...just means it was remounted. You get WW2 swords with 2 holes and old swords with one.

Better to see if they are drilled or punched. Punched would indicate earlier swords. Extra holes are not a desired feature, and the younger the sword the less desirable they are.

Brian

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..