Is this a hagiri

bigjohnshea

Hope you are all well.

Here a few images of an unpolished sword I have. The first image is just above the Munemachi and you can see two lines of rust running perpendicular to the Ha. One of them seems to originate from a chip in the edge. However there are other lines of rust similar to this in the next picture at the area where the yasurime should be, and they do not originate from chips.

In your opinions are any of these hagiri?

Thanks for you time.

Cheers.

post-3662-14196914783408_thumb.jpg

post-3662-14196914788375_thumb.jpg

This is just proximal the munemachi. You can actually see the lip of the munemachi at the top of the blade in each photo.

I don't think this sword was welded at all. My instinct is that this was a katana made into an osuriage wakizashi. I had a similar katana that was of muromachi origin and this feels and looks the same to me.

Here's a few more photos.

post-3662-14196914894328_thumb.jpg

post-3662-14196914900065_thumb.jpg

post-3662-14196914905216_thumb.jpg

post-3662-14196914909053_thumb.jpg

As you can see there are similar markings on both sides of the blade at the same region but they are not originating from the same areas of the blade when you look at it closely.

I think Peter may be entirely correct. Perhaps it was wrapped with something and maybe used as a tool. This would explain all the chips in the edge but also the lines of rust near the munemachi.

Thank you all for your insights.

This sword has never been a priority for me and it was very cheap. I have bigger fish to fry, but I always liked this little blade for some reason. Like Peter said, I don't think there will be much left of it if it was polished up though, so I'm just going to leave it the way it is. Wrap it up in some cloth and let it rest in peace. :-)

Hope you all have a great weekend!

Cheers.

Barry,

Yes I had contacted some polishers a while ago to see what it would cost, but I've been putting the money elsewhere since then though.

I still have other swords to focus on. Have a really nice Shinto blade I got from Chris Bowen that has been in line to be polished for more than a year now, and have another I need to make payments on. With those two going I'll be lucky if I EVER get any extra money to put into this blade. :-) Until then it will just rest and be cared for.

BTW, I never asked anyone this before, but is there any good reason not to put choji on an unpolished blade? I have a few others that are out of shape and I usually put choji on them (with a different cloth) when I clean my swords every few months. Is there any reason not to put choji on blades out of polish?

Thank you again to everyone.

Cheers.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..