Tokugawa Mon

Nihonto2013

Hello everyone,

I have been looking for a source of more detailed information on Nihonto, and it appears I have found one. I have two blades which appear to have merit for further research. One of a Wakizashi, which on surperficial examination would be from the 15th century, we will approach that one presently. The subject of this post is my most recent aquisition a Kaiken with some interesting characteristics. First I should intro myself. I am a long time collector of blades from all countries. So as they say in Texas, "this ain't my first rodeo". I have owned an Antique Store in my past, and have bought and sold items from all eras, except perhaps pre-historic, no Wooly Mammoth type stuff. So I know when something is old and when something pretends to be old. I no longer have the store, anyone who was ever in business with family will know why. So I am just John-Q-Public, with some stuff, now.

I picked this up recently and was interest what more learned eyes my have to tell me. Things I think I know;

1. The Mon is from the Tokugawa family.

2. The Dragon appears to be a Female version due to the tail configuration.

3. The dragon is not engraved on the blade so much as it is "carved" into it.

4. This is a "well loved" item. Someone handled this thing every day for many, many years. It used to have a gold wash over the Saya and Tsuka, which is evident in the protect places, which were not handled as much. The gold wash on the saya is seen in the engraving. It appears to have been blackened then gilded.

Now to my question. How do you get the retaining stud out of the Tsuka? It is more like a double sided rivet, than the bamboo plug. I would like to look for a signature under it, and share that with my new found colleegs. I don't want to damage anything anymore than it already has. I had to play with the images to get them to upload, so they are not original full frame.

Thanks very much for any help you may have to offer,

J.Edward

post-4464-14196860460342_thumb.jpg

post-4464-14196860466984_thumb.jpg

post-4464-14196860473155_thumb.jpg

post-4464-14196860479182_thumb.jpg

The mekugi ana could be a screw type... if not, it should be able to be tapped out fairly easily... or maybe its a 2 piece peg that's made to pull apart... maybe we could tell for sure if you posted some pics of this area...

The photos don't show a lo,t but everything I can see would lead me to agree with Matt. The main thing that's apparent in the sword pics are the low quality horimono... maybe someone else can tell more...

Yep..these pressed brass mounts were always made in the Meiji period for the tourist market that had opened up at that time. They very often have the aoi mon on them...I think this was intended to increase interest in them.

Blade quality varies in these mounts. Usually mediocre, seldom great. But the piece is still a historical one with over 100 years of age on it, so it isn't a $50 item. Follow the advice given here to take it apart and see what the tang tells us.

Brian

Update:

I got out the old Dremel tool and useing an old dental burr milled away the white metal portion of what appears to be a copper stud passing through the tsuka. After tapping the stud out, I am confronted with something that looks like a brass bushing or collar which is still retaining the tsuka like a brass mekugi. During the milling process I didn't see anything like treads so I am working under an assumption that the copper rivet stem was the connection between the flat white metal ends. I am proceeding slowly and working with the lowest speed of the tool. To my eyes it is a charming little blade and I am trying to allow the next owners, whomever they might be to enjoy it in as original condition as possible. I respect all blades for thier own unique characteristics. While I was in the Air Force everyone brought thier worn out pocket knives to me to have some very tired blades reshaped, polished and sharpened. I didn't charge to do it. I just enjoy working with steel.

More pics when the tang finally sees daylight in what appears to have been many years.

Thanks, for your comments, they are very welcome and are educating me in this facinating pursuit.

J.Edward

Hi,

Just the blade on a ruler with cm on one side and inches on the other for scale. Also the marble tiles are right about 12 inches square. So the whole thing measures about 19.5cm or just about 7 3/4 inches, from the tip to the end of the tang.

Thanks, for all your help,

J.Edward

post-4464-14196861231651_thumb.jpg

post-4464-14196861282024_thumb.jpg

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..