Tochibata Tsuba

Curran

Tochibata Tsuba: (Iron Drawer Pull Tsuba) Anyone able to copy the images out of Afu (Harry Watson's) translation of the Nihonto Koza for me?

I know we don't see this attribution any more in modern papers- but I've always liked them. Maybe due to love of nice tansu.

Their simple designs spilled into other schools. I'm looking at one that I think is very similar to the ones in the book.

Grey nailed it.

Jean- the "Tochibata" tsuba as they were once illustrated were more of a "twist and pull" iron worker's school. Not high brow Art, they are a bit simple and heavy in comparison to other schools, I still like their simple honesty. I seem to recall they had something to do with being influenced by foreign ironwork. I think the one on Grey's site is too refined aesthetic and not the blacksmith worked feel to get the 'Tochibata' classification, though I understand the reasons for the former owner's call.

The mimi is often 'twisted rope', like Gunichi's example. Fern bracken and tansu drawer pull bending shapes are common elements of the design.

Attached is an image of the one I was looking at. It isn't the one in the books. Just similar. Been a while since I saw one.

In further look at the photos of the tsuba, I see patina issues where someone might have doctored it a bit. The high flash hides a lot. Not sure.

~~The tsuba comes with old NBTHK green papers saying 'Owari'. My feeling on old green papers is they seems to often be 'one off' either attributing the tsuba to something similar but not right in the post 1970s views. Ie. (1) def. don't trust them for signatures (2) sometimes they too favorably attribute a tsuba (3) sometimes they are too vague and the tsuba would be get a better valuation these days.

I'd say this Tochibata has a (#2) with old papers stating 'Owari'. Since 2012, NBTHK no longer even acknowledges the green papers.

post-51-1419685579681_thumb.jpg

Jack,

Not much to provide.

~~ With green papers turned in, you could receive a discount on items sent into shinsa for Hozon or Tokubetsu Hozon.

~~ With fittings, I believe you could also just submit directly to the tougher Tokubetsu Hozon shinsa. This may be mistaken. I never tried.

~~Don't know if it was this way with swords.

After 25 years of grace period on the defunct papers, NBTHK said 'No Mas!".

You turn in green papers now, and no discount. I also think you probably cannot go directly to TH shinsa from greens.

The last tsuba I submitted with green papers, they gave no discount and kept the green papers.

Yes. It did.

Previous papers said 'Higo'. Current papers say 'Hayashi'.

It was painfully obvious that it was Hayashi school. Like I said, green papers are often '1 off' of accurate.

The tsuba was sold to a member here on NMB, thought he is MIA at present.

It leaves me in an awkward position on another purchase.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..