Help with translation on sword

Hirokosan

Yes, it is a Takayama-style blade. I can't read smith names very well, but someone should come along who can. I've broken it down for you as much as I can.

I like these blades as they are a bit unique from the standard Japanese style. They were designed by a Japanese Naval Academy sword instructor to kill with one blow. Shorter, but heavy, with a fatter blade tip - all designed with hand-to-hand combat in mind. As with a lot of blades made for the navy, they used the WWII equivalent to our modern day stainless steel to prevent salt-water corrosion.

post-3487-0-25226900-1579877194_thumb.pngpost-3487-0-46699600-1579877203_thumb.pngpost-3487-0-32338700-1579877239_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Yes, it is a Takayama-style blade. I can't read smith names very well, but someone should come along who can. I've broken it down for you as much as I can.

I like these blades as they are a bit unique from the standard Japanese style. They were designed by a Japanese Naval Academy sword instructor to kill with one blow. Shorter, but heavy, with a fatter blade tip - all designed with hand-to-hand combat in mind. As with a lot of blades made for the navy, they used the WWII equivalent to our modern day stainless steel to prevent salt-water corrosion.

attachicon.gif2015-09-24 12.01.09.pngattachicon.gif2015-09-24 12.15.21.pngattachicon.gif20200124_074157.jpg

Thank you so much! That was super helpful. Hopefully someone can translate the smiths name. How much are these usually worth?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..