Nbthk Token Bijutsu, English Edition : Vol. 1-59, Complete Set

Wim V

Dear all,

I am offering for sale a complete set of the English Token Bijutsu magazines (volume 1 - 59), published between 1979 and 1993.

As you all know this is one of the best Nihonto references ever published in English.  You get lots of oshigata, pictures, descriptions and articles on great swords, fittings, schools etc.  Every volume contains two foldouts with oshigata and descriptions of masterpiece items.  Furthermore you will find a kantei blade with each time a thorough explanation of the solution in the next issue.  Also included are oshigata from the Kanto Hibisho series by Dr. Honma, and oshigata taken from the monthly appreciation meeting in Japan.  All in all approximately 40 pages x 59 = nearly 2400 pages of excellent information!

This set is overall in very good condition, and a large number of the magazines are in excellent condition.  I will however give a detailed description of the few minor issues: some volumes have a slight bit of damage on the spine, and in one case the spine was reinforced with a bit of tape.  Eight of the booklets have the volume number written on the spine by a previous owner.  Please judge from the pictures.  I went through all the magazines page by page and the contents are really fine, no torn or missing pages.  Only exception is volume one, where the previous owner cut out a portion of one of the foldout pages (a picture of a Goto school kogai), but there is a xerox copy of the original page included, so you still have all the information.

Considering the overall condition of this set, I am asking 600 euro (shipment not included, the cost will vary according to location).  A donation will be made to the board when the set is sold.  Thanks for looking.

post-186-0-45236300-1540652208_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-20283700-1540652218_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-23748000-1540652228_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-97769300-1540652238_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-51933600-1540652260_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-99147700-1540652272_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-54531700-1540652282_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-99390000-1540652296_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-98660700-1540652322_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-37141000-1540652343_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-92249200-1540652355_thumb.jpg

These volumes remain some of the best reference material available to non Japanese speakers. My copies are in very regular use. Considering the relatively limited numbers these were printed in I am always surpised to see them come on to the market, albeit very rarely.

Well worth having in your library

Are these direct translations of the Tōken Bijutsu (刀剣美術) magazine? I recently discovered that there was an article in one of these on the tosogu smith Ishiyama Mototada (石山基董), though I have no idea which volume or issue. I don't suppose I could ask a big favour and if you could tell me which he features in, and if it's not too much trouble to send me a couple of pictures of the pages?

Dear Kyle,

As far as I understand, some of the information in the English editions comes directly from the Japanese original volumes.  For example, all the oshigata from the Kanto Hibisho series and from the monthly appreciation meetings, as well as the masterpiece foldouts (meito kansho), you will find in the original Japanese versions.  In those cases, the English descriptions seem to be a direct translation of the Japanese text.

However, the English editions also contain numerous articles which I did not find to be directly related to the content of the Japanese issues.  For example there is a series of articles titled "tosogu of the Edo period", and a series "well known swordsmiths in the Shinto period and their styles" and furthermore there are also contributions from Western members (for example Mr. Han Bing Siong), and those articles don't seem to have a counterpart in the Japanese volumes.

In short, I would not mind to look up a few things for you and make some scans, but it would at least be nice to have some starting point.  If I have to go through all the volumes looking for Ishiyama Mototada tha will be quite some work.  Feel free to PM me if you have more information that could guide me in the direction of what you're looking for.

Are these direct translations of the Tōken Bijutsu (刀剣美術) magazine? I recently discovered that there was an article in one of these on the tosogu smith Ishiyama Mototada (石山基董), though I have no idea which volume or issue. I don't suppose I could ask a big favour and if you could tell me which he features in, and if it's not too much trouble to send me a couple of pictures of the pages?

Archived