Japanese "tanker/pilot" Sword- Surrender Tag Translation Help Needed

Yoshimichi

Dear NMB Members:

I just picked this up from a veteran's family. The vet was stationed in Japan during the occupation. He was stationed in Nara, and he told his son that he was assigned to a group of soldiers in charge of confiscating the weapons/swords from the citizens. He told his son that the citizens were ordered to take all of their swords into the street, and put them in piles. Army trucks then picked up the swords and hauled them away for destruction. He grabbed about six swords and shipped them back home to the U.S. in wooden boxes, along with a number of other items. Apparently, the boxes of war artifacts were stored in the attic for 40-50 years, and opened after the vet died. I purchased three swords: two dress parade swords, and this one. All three swords had surrender tags attached, all from Nara. This one has a number of tags on it, which may just be the owners address information, but I am hoping someone can tell what if any other information is on the surrender tags, if any.

The blade nagasa is 20-3/4 inches long. The blade is very straight (Kanbun?), and the tang is shortened, but with what appears to be the kanji: "Bitchu osafune ju ....." The smith;s name is gone.The hamon is suguha.

I have attached some photos of the various surrender tags, and I hope someone can tell me if the tags say anything other than the owner;s address. It appears the owner's name is: "Soichiro Yanizoye(?)"

Any translation help is sincerely appreciated.

Regards,

Bill E. Sheehan (Yoshimich)     

post-1356-0-62137300-1516496385_thumb.jpg

post-1356-0-83512600-1516496455_thumb.jpg

post-1356-0-41192200-1516496489_thumb.jpg

post-1356-0-77710900-1516496543_thumb.jpg

post-1356-0-64915700-1516496568_thumb.jpg

post-1356-0-85886100-1516496594_thumb.jpg

post-1356-0-03208900-1516496621_thumb.jpg

post-1356-0-67639200-1516496699_thumb.jpg

post-1356-0-45990500-1516496768_thumb.jpg

post-1356-0-27471700-1516496801_thumb.jpg

The surrender tags tell me that he was well educated, and that he really wanted all parts of this Gunto set to find their way back home. I bet if you run a search you will find family members still living in that area of Nara Prefecture.

To complete the address in English, include the small details which Mr Tanizoe elected to leave out,

O-aza, Kurosaki,
Asakura Village
Isoki Gun,
Nara Prefecture.

For example top left is the hamlet of O-aza Kurosaki and at the bottom of this page you can see the 'O-aza Kurosaki Jinja'

http://www2u.biglobe.ne.jp/~wing38/desnara/049/049.html

• Like 1

Dear Piers:

Thanks for the additional information. I have googled the owner's name a number of ways, but not with the rest of the information you provided. I will try to expand the research efforts using your additional information. I also sensed that the owner hoped to someday see this sword returned. It would be great to locate family members that may still be there, and who would truly appreciate it as a family heirloom. Thanks again for the additional assistance.

Regards,

Bill E. Sheehan (Yoshimichi) 

• Like 1

Dear Piers and Steve:

I received an email from a person I reached out to in Nara, and I think I may be getting somewhat closer to possibly tracking down the family that owned the sword. Below is the email I received.

Regards,

Bill E. Sheehan (Yoshimichi)

Dear Mr. Sheehan,

Having received your inquiry on Mr. Soichiro Tanizoe, 
I checked the website, and found that Asakura Village
is now in Sakurai city, Nara Prefecture.  

The Internet also gave me his phone number (!) at the
same address, but sadly I heard a mechanical voice that 
the number is now out of service.  

Anyway, it looks like Tanizoe-san once surely lived there. 
Isn't it a great news ?

Now, could you wait for some time. as coincidentally, I know 
some people who work for Sakurai City Hall.  I will ask them 
what they can do for you.

Best regards,

Hisayo OHNISHI
Nara SGG Club

cleardot.gif
  • Like 3

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..