Kuro Raku Chawan... I Guess

Teimei

Hi guys,

i recently bought a Chawan as a decoration piece.

At first i will admit, that i have not a single clue about Japanese pottery! So, since that was made clear... this is what the seller said about the piece:

"A real Kuro Raku Chawan, made about 30 years ago in Tottori. A nice example of Kuro Raku Pottery, with an excellent glace and a nice footing. Nice snail(?) is visible.  With signature in good condition. Measurements: 12x8,5cm"

Feel free to leave a comment and it would be nice if someone is able to read the signature (if that is even possible).

warmest regards,

post-2703-0-91994700-1496953305_thumb.jpg

post-2703-0-82210200-1496953323_thumb.jpg

post-2703-0-62004900-1496953343_thumb.jpg

post-2703-0-41436900-1496953367_thumb.jpg

post-2703-0-96687200-1496953388_thumb.jpg

I don't recognize the (scratch), signature. Was there a box with the chawan? If you have one the calligraphy on the lid (or side), generally gives you information about the article inside. Age seems about right, from photo's alone I'd say 30/40 years.

If you're interested in learning a little bit about raku, try and see if you can find the spot on the bowl (inside and outside), where the tongs clamped it to remove it from the kiln.

And if you're looking for matchaa, you can try habiki ann. I like their teas and only have good experiences with them.

edit: also there is an old saying; first Raku, second Hagi and third Karatsu. Which are all styles linked to certain provinces and area's that were most highly regarded among tea masters. That says a little bit about the history of rakuyaki.

• Like 1

I don't recognize the (scratch), signature. Was there a box with the chawan? If you have one the calligraphy on the lid (or side), generally gives you information about the article inside. Age seems about right, from photo's alone I'd say 30/40 years.

If you're interested in learning a little bit about raku, try and see if you can find the spot on the bowl (inside and outside), where the tongs clamped it to remove it from the kiln.

And if you're looking for matchaa, you can try habiki ann. I like their teas and only have good experiences with them.

edit: also there is an old saying; first Raku, second Hagi and third Karatsu. Which are all styles linked to certain provinces and area's that were most highly regarded among tea masters. That says a little bit about the history of rakuyaki.

Hi Axel,

a box was not included. After i received it, i will definitely look for the spot.  

I am more of a sencha-drinker, but i will definitely try to find that brand and a Chasen. Thanks for the tip!

Personally, i like Raku (probably for the Sen no Rikyu connection), Shigaraki and Iga-yaki. Seems like i could have started a new Hobby :) !

regards,

Hi,

received the Chawan today.

I found the spot Axel was talking about and the matcha is on the way. The texture is excellent and i can fully understand that some people compare it with the texture of high class tsuba!

regards,

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..