Matsukawabishi

Hi all,

I was wondering, if there is somekind of symbolic meaning for the Matskukawabishi (-Mon) or if it (simply) was a family crest (Kamon). It is often seen on Tsuba and I intend to do a little research on this design element.

I tried to find a Mon related website to get some pictures and examples or some information on the families using this crest but did not find very much on this.

If anybody (or Nobody :D ) could offer some information I would be very thankful.

best,

Martin

post-50-14196743996047_thumb.gif

post-50-14196743996266_thumb.jpg

According to this book on Hamon (Bessatu Rekishi to Tabi, Nihon no Hamon, Dai 3 go) the Hishi diamond-shaped water chestnut (caltrop) Mon goes way back, and examples can be found on clothes in the Sho-so-in.

Many families used the hishi Mon in many variations, but it was the Ogasawaras that particularly used both the pine bark Matsukawa-bishi and the Three-tiered Sandan-bishi. The san-dan starts with a large bottom layer and grows smaller to the top. The Matsukawa has the largest layer in the centre/center, and is said to represent the way pine bark actually looks. (?)

The founder of the Mitsubishi Zaidan, Mr Iwasaki, was descended from the Ogasawaras, and that is why he chose the company symbol, the book says.

Incidentally I have a couple of Edo-ki household objects with the Matsukawa Mon, which I could photograph and post here or over in the Edo Period corner if you like.

Incidentally I have a couple of Edo-ki household objects with the Matsukawa Mon, which I could photograph and post here or over in the Edo Period corner if you like.

Hi Piers,

many thanks for your reply and the information. I´d certainly love to see some of these images :)

best,

Mmmm... that pattern's great in green, Koichi san. What can you imagine? Strips of pine bark stripped from the tree and cut for roofing or something and stacked on top of each other? Or overlapping pine bark actually on the tree?

Here you go, Martin. 8) A shokudai candlestick and a lady's cosmetics container (?).

post-601-14196744005005_thumb.jpg

post-601-14196744008296_thumb.jpg

post-601-14196744011435_thumb.jpg

post-601-14196744014159_thumb.jpg

Mmmm... that pattern's great in green, Koichi san. What can you imagine? Strips of pine bark stripped from the tree and cut for roofing or something and stacked on top of each other? Or overlapping pine bark actually on the tree?

I think there are at least two theories. One is the surface pattern of an actual pine tree, and the other is the shape of a small flake of pine bark. I prefer the latter theory, though I could not find good pictures.

post-20-14196744016986_thumb.jpg

You may be right. It's quite large though, and looks from the outside as though it has three stages like a ju bako, even though it actually has two. Most natusme I have seen have been small and rounded and very cute. I've actually go two of these ... chaki? ... the other one is smaller, but three-tiered and has an internally metal-lined section at the bottom.

I ran a Google search on Matsukawa bishi and came up with so much material I don't have time to read it all. This page, which suggests one of the three traditional lozenge/diamond shaped mochi was actually made of pine bark (!) is very interesting. Because preparing and eating the bark got people through famines, it became a symbol of longevity... ? :phew:

http://www.city.yurihonjo.akita.jp/yash ... yoku03.htm

Many thanks Piers and Koichi,

I also found this page in Japanese that shows some variations of that Mon: http://www.otomiya.com/kamon/kika/matsukawa.htm

Its translation via Babelfish results in the following:

"Matsukawa water caltrop - It waits, or is lonesome.

With the design which furthermore attaches the small water caltrop to the top and bottom in the water caltrop, it is derived from the form having been similar to the crust of the pine. It is made the Japanese peculiar pattern."

What I ask myself is: Could the design also resemble a water caltrop ( http://images.google.de/images?q=water+ ... art=0&sa=N ) ?

"Caltrop" also refers to a small iron weapon used in medieval times, with four points, designed to pierce the hooves of enemy cavalry horses.

Maybe I just followed a stupid idea here, that was caused by some weak (automatic) translation... :dunno:

best,

post-50-14196744044316_thumb.jpg

Martin, yes, I believe that is one of the theories of the beginnings of this pattern.

The hishi diamond shape itself came very early on, and the name actually means water chestnut or caltrop. Some early weapons resembled it.

The 'Matsukawa' pine bark version of the hishi/bishi pattern seems to have appeared much later.

The container seems to be a Natsume (棗 = a kind of tea caddy).

That would be an odd Natsume; I never saw one that had more than one compartment. My wife, who holds a teacher's license in Ura-Senke, never heard of this type of Natsume either.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi

Lanes Armoury has a wakizashi fr sale:code 12750 "A Good Wak...

Pic 8 shows the sukashi tsuba which apparently incorporates the matsukawabishi design.

The design seems undeveloped/unrealized compared to other fuller more geometric examples ie: Yakiba's nmbr 4 tsuba Owari.

Can we say that this Lanes Armoury example is an early form- based solely on design criteria, other considerations aside- or a degenerate later version?

Philip

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Good morning guys,

I was just reading a post from Mariusz regarding Yanone which was very interesting, but on his blog I also saw an article regarding two similar tsuba and a reference to this discussion. I am not a tsuba guy, but it was interesting to see this style of tsuba, because I have the same on my wakizashi attributed to Aizu Michitoki. I've attached some pics.

(the wakizashi has a kanteisho from NTHK)

Greets,

Jan-Wouter

post-1760-14196778784232_thumb.jpg

post-1760-14196778831506_thumb.jpg

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..