Fun With My Late War Nco Gunto

I've had this late war Type 95 that I really enjoy. Originally I thought the arsenal stamp on the blade was Nagoya, but I zoomed in on it tonight, and learned that it's a Seki stamp (which is still technically a Nagoya Arsenal factory). But what was really interesting, is I noticed TINY marks on the top edge of the nakago. Zooming in, they look like 6 (roku) multiple times. Never seen assembly stamps on NCO swords! I've learned on another site that they are really "large" kanji, not number 6:post-3487-0-77956900-1456465948_thumb.jpgpost-3487-0-09333200-1456465986_thumb.jpgpost-3487-0-99973200-1456466014_thumb.jpgpost-3487-0-34619500-1456466120_thumb.jpg

I can't say I've ever taken the handles off to look. How interesting! None of the references have any nakago pictures... This could be common or rare. The next three models all commonly have second class acceptance stamps but these are on the blades and saya.

• 3 months later...

Sorry, but didn't realize that I hadn't kept this post updated. Got some clarity on another site: the kanji is the center character of the Seki stamp. Still no idea WHY the Seki stamp was put on the upper edge of this NCO gunto:

"--Guy

Kinda like the middle 关 of the 関 but didn't stamp clear enough"

http://www.wehrmacht-awards.com/Forums/showthread.php?t=848373

Hi Bruce,

I'm tempted to take mine off but won't. Nearly all the paint on the screw is intact and I'd prefer it to stay that way. Perhaps if I find a cheaper example I'll take it apart. Mine has the scarce thicker tsuba but is also a Seki sword.

• 5 months later...

Sure, Steve, here's both sides and one after I cleaned it (please don't hate me! I clean all my gunto, but keep pics for proof of condition when I get them).

Looks like that was mostly active surface rust, not like you got out the old wire brush or belt sander ;) I clean mine with a lot of oil and cotton patches, though I've never removed a handle. Each to their own, I think the NCOs nakago looks good after the tidy.

Thanks for posting, I thought that's about what it'd look like, but having never actually seen one apart, who would know?

• Like 1

Hi Bruce and Shamsy, one of the attractive features about the NCO swords is that they are rarely disassembled, as no one is looking for hidden treasure blades. They are usually also not attacked by amateur polishers looking for any HAMON or features in the blade. From my point of view, an as is, patinated NCO is more desirable. OK, stabilize active rust with oil, that's called preservation.

In my experience collecting forged GUNTOS, nearly 100% have been disassembled, probably half those have been reassembled in the wrong order, and God forbid some have been assembled using mixed components that were never on the original sword. Its pretty easy, knock out the peg and any thing goes!!!

A good honest original unassembled, unrestored NCO certainly has its attraction.

I actually get angry when I see a GUNTO that has been tarted up to "improve" its looks or saleability.

Like putting lipstick on DaVincis Mona Lisa. Neil.

• Like 1

I pretty much blanket agree Neil, leave these things as they are and don't mix it around! I don't feel it adds to the swords in any way and would prefer a sword I know is 100% as it was after the war than one that has been swapped out with pristine parts. As you rightly observe, it's terribly easy to do this with gunto but a darn sight harder on NCO. The screws are a lot harder to remove, there is the risk of damaging parts, creating the dreaded 'rattle' and frankly you can't really tart the 95's. That just makes it obvious that it is put together, like the ones selling recently with gunto blades crammed into newly cast handles. There is little opportunity to try and 'create' a new model, which is such a blessing. I just love the NCOs and nothing beats a good clean example with a nice patina.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..