124 replies to this topic

#121 PietroParis

PietroParis

Chu Jo Saku

• Members
  • 86 posts
  • LocationParis

Posted 31 August 2019 - 05:28 PM

The bowl really does look great, but isn't there a health concern from the lead in the black raku glaze? I am not sure that I would want to drink from it...

Cheers, Pietro

#122 TETSUGENDO

TETSUGENDO

Sai Jo Saku

• Members
  • 2,318 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 31 August 2019 - 06:48 PM

Pietro,

There have been lead concerns, but proper use and handling minimizes them.      Pre soak bowl, rinse thoroughly afterwards, use only with Matcha and other non-acidic foodstuffs, and most importantly consume the contents in a timely manner....DO NOT LET THEM SIT IN THE BOWL FOR A PROLONGED PERIOD OF TIME.      If one is still concerned choose another teaware that doesn't have this issue.

-S-

• PietroParis likes this

StevenK

#123 PietroParis

PietroParis

Chu Jo Saku

• Members
  • 86 posts
  • LocationParis

Posted 31 August 2019 - 07:16 PM

Thanks for the tips! Personally I think that I would stick to the last one... ;-)

Concerning the “leaded” bowls, should older ones (where the glaze might be worn or crackled) be considered riskier than newer ones?

Cheers, Pietro

#124 ROKUJURO

ROKUJURO

Sai Jo Saku

• Members
  • 2,499 posts
  • LocationIn a deep valley

Posted 31 August 2019 - 07:54 PM

No, Pietro,

these glazes will be partly soluble in any weak acid, but older bowls might have lost already some of the lead. On the other side, they show a more 'open' surface which may make them as critical as new ones.

By the way, modern earthenware glazes can be made with low temperature frits without lead, but I don't know if Japanese potters have changed their recipes. But on the other hand many low temperature (lead-free) glazes will be attacked by acids as well. I tried that with orange juice - tastes disgustingly!  

Any stoneware CHAWAN bears no risk at all, so why not go the safe way?   

• PietroParis likes this
Regards,

Jean C.

#125 PietroParis

PietroParis

Chu Jo Saku

• Members
  • 86 posts
  • LocationParis

Posted 31 August 2019 - 08:31 PM

Indeed, this is “the last tip” I was referring to. I guess I’ll just look for a different kind of bowl! Cheers, Pietro
  • TETSUGENDO likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: for sale

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq