What is this activity called? And opinions on blade.

jrs

Some works produced by the Shitahara‘s in Bushu are characterized with perfect Mokume - until now I havent seen in pictures an example - such a pure Mokume-hada is known as „Jurin-Moku“ meaning wood burl. There are others associated with wood burl, f.e. - Norishige, Gassan, Hankei, Naotane.

I would suppose, that Jurin-Moku is displayed in a smaller execution and not as bold as in this Katana.

From the pics hamachi - almost not existent - and munemachi are not in line.

The nakago looks to be old.

Has this Katana been polished recently?...is it Japanese polish?

BTW yakumo hada was used by some smiths in forgeries of Soshu works.

Eric

Gassan - Koto - Kitae: Ayasugi hada that is hadamono and has typical Gassan hadaware

Norishige - Koto - Kitae: Whirlpool itame that is matsukawa hada and has thick ji-nie and strong chikei

Hankei - Shinto - Wakizashi - Kitae: Itame with Masame - O-Mokume

Naotane - Shinshinto - Wakizashi - Kitae: uzu hada - whirlpool like Mokume

Eric

post-369-14196836918044_thumb.jpg

post-369-14196836919839_thumb.jpg

post-369-1419683692155_thumb.jpg

post-369-14196836974355_thumb.jpg

Mr. Robert Benson is a Japanese trained togishi and expert with great experience and knowledge...what is his opinion on this Katana?...age, school, ev. smith.

Eric

I did ask him. He wasn't very forthcoming. He said it should go to shinsa.

James

Hi,

Eric, i think your need to learn the difference between itame and mokume (and ayasugi which as nothing related with mokume) . Norishige hada is mainly O itame with on some works (and not always ) some mokume mixed in. Naotane uzumaki Hada consits in some spots of this hada only.

Naotane sample:

https://www.aoi-art.com/auction/en/auct ... 1213703271

MOKUME

As the extreme state of ITAME containing straight grain ends up showing almost no difference from MASAME-HADA, the same could happen to MOKUME in relation to ITAME if the difference is a matter of relativity. That is, there are certain types of MOKUME very difficult to distinguish from ITAME. However, the terminology is not of primary importance. What is essential here is to understand different types of grain formations as factors to facilitate a KANTEI process.

It is quite common to find some MOKUME contained in an overall ITAME-HADA. The greatest majority of blades, from Koto to Shinshinto, is made in ITAME-KITAE. In distinguishing a great many swords according to province, school and so on, you can supplement your analysis by taking other factors into consideration, in sword identification, there are other even more dominant factors that can make your conclusion more definitive in terms of Ji.

Several members have given their opinion and hints:

Paul: Koto Gassan

Matt J: Shitahara

Thomas C Helm: Hayama Enshin

Chris Bowen: Satsuma

I have picked up these ideas and the smiths I have listed show occasionally this form of whirlpool defined Mokume in their works.

Koto Gassan, Norishige with his matsukawa hada, Naotane with his uzu hada. Shitahara is also a good hint. Hayama Enshin from the Kiyomaro group with tight ko-itame mixed with ko-mokume. Satsuma Masayoshi‘s blades sometimes displays areas of o-hada.

It has to be remembered: some works produced by...are characterized with...

Norishige‘s kitae doesn‘t have obligatory the wood burl, but it‘s an important kantei point

Hankei, his kitae sometimes described as a running o-itame, aimed to create Norishige's hada

Naotane worked in different styles, his uzu hada is an important kantei point

Eric

Hi,

Eric

Remember your sentence

until now I havent seen in pictures an example - such a pure Mokume-hada is known as „Jurin-Moku“ meaning wood burl. There are others associated with wood burl, f.e. - Norishige, Gassan, Hankei, Naotane.

Now you are saying something else.

Closed for me.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..