Text on label & advice on style of carvings of Mei please

markturner

Hi, as part of my continuing investigations ( not very fruitful so far) of my Munetsugu sword, I wondered if anyone could help with translating the Japanese text on these two small labels on the shirasaya. It was part of the Bigelow collection at one time and I wonder if they relate to that? They are certainly old...

april105.jpg

Finally, I have a translation of the Mei shown below, but I would be interested in peoples opinions of the style of the "handwriting". I certainly have never seen such an open and "florid" style, using narrow lines, as this on a mei before. Is this unusual? Does it point to anything particular? I am also curious as to the reason for the 2nd mekugi ana near the tip of the nakago.... the sword is shin-shinto and not suriage, so why have a hole in that position?

april108.jpg

april106.jpg

many thanks for any help and opinions,

Regards, Mark

............ I am also curious as to the reason for the 2nd mekugi ana near the tip of the nakago.... the sowrd is shinto and not suriage, so why have a hole in that position?

That is usually called Shinobi-ana (忍び穴). It could be used as a backup.

Ref. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2377&p=16536&hilit=shinobiana#p16536

Hi Guys, thanks for that, that's a shame, I now have the same information 3 times, once on the label, once on the sayagaki and once on the tang - and still no nearer knowing which Munetsugu it was that made the sword.

Morita, I can certainly post a picture of the whole blade if you like, does this help? let me know if you need better:

jan2012018.jpg

Any thoughts on the style of "handwriting"?

Thanks again, Mark

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..