Interesting Akasaka tsuba on eBay...

Here is a link to a intresting Akasaka? tsuba being listed on eBay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/TSUBA-IRON-Japanese-SUKASHI-AKASAKA-STYLE-SHIGURE-TEI-DESIGN-/120775481725?pt=Asian_Antiques&hash=item1c1ec7997d#ht_2720wt_1271.

Wait I forgot to use the correct official NMB approved name for the site evilBay. :badgrin: Some strange alternations has happen to the seppa-dai on the ura side of this tsuba. Has anyone seen this before? I don't see it on other Akasaka tsuba comparing it to some published examples I have in books. I have never purchased from this seller from Japan. Any help or comments are welcome. :)

Yours truly,

David Stiles

Hi,

I'm a noob, but from what I know that happens when you have to fit a Tsuba that has a Nakago hole das is too big for the actual Nakago. You hammer on the edged of the hole to force the metal towards the hole thus making the hole smaller.

However, this here is the first time I've seen that done so extremely, usually it's just found on the top and bottom of the hole.

However, this here is the first time I've seen that done so extremely, usually it's just found on the top and bottom of the hole.

Hi Tobias H.,

I am aware of the fact that the top and bottom of the nakago ana (i.e. tang hole) gets altered via a hammer in such a way to fit it to a new tang when a tsuba is mounted on a new sword but I have never seen this done to such an extreme. That was one of the reasons I was pointing that fact out. There also appears a fair amount of interest in the tsuba on eBay due to the number of bids versus the time remaining. Here is a more typical example of what we are talking about from a tsuba in my collection.

The design and the sukashi style I would consider to be classic Akasaka school. The only thing strange is the alteration of the nakago-ana. The consistence of the patina and presence of rust doesn't look good as well but I don't see any major rust damage. This can be really hard to judge accurately sometimes from photos.

Yours truly,

David Stiles

post-1126-1419681323335_thumb.jpg

Hm... it sure is extreme.

Perhaps the Nakago Ana (thanks for the word btw) was way too big so that such measures became necessary - forcing the smith do not just are the material right at the Ana but also further out resulting in an almost Seppa-wide adaption.

Or it might be that the top and bottom already had been adapted for another blade and no couldn't be modified further for the new blade so that the sides hat to be hammered as well.

Those are basically the only two possible reasons I see.

Hi Bob H.,

Thanks for the name of the design. I have seen in other Akasaka tsuba before. It of a chashitsu (茶室) or outdoor small tea room in spring time. The kebori along the sukashi isn't as good as you typically see in Akasaka school work. It could be a Shoami copy or a later generation (i.e. Akasaka, Ko-dai) work. The seller doesn't list the thickness of the tsuba and if the seppa-dai is thinner or thicker then the rim. All of these are important bits of information.

Yours truly,

David Stiles

Hi Curran,

Thanks for joining the discussion. Your idea might explain what looks to be the very poor condition of the patina. I was looking at transverse views of the tsuba and I don't see any luster just dry rustiness to me. This poor condition of patina could be the result of someone taking a legitimate modern tsuba (aka. a copy of a original Akasaka school work) and trying to artificially age it to make it look like it was from the Edo Period. This might also explain the over done alternation of the nakago-ana.

Yours truly,

David Stiles

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..