Tachi, Katana or ?

Daniel

Hello, What's the correct word for swords in type 98 and type 3 Gunto koshirae? I guess you can call the type 94 Shin Gunto and the Kai Gunto for Tachi with two ashi, but what about the other types? The reason I ask is I own a type 98 with a leather covered wooden saya and a Gendaito in type 3 mounts but I really don't know what to call them. So Tachi, Katana or maybe Handachi? Can someone explain please? Kind Regards Daniel

the terms can refer to how the sword is signed (tachi-mei or katana-mei) so based on that, if they are signed, you could say your WWII swords are one or the other, but the traditional definition is more about how they were carried, edge up for katana and slung with edge down for tachi. As WWII swords were attached by a hanger or chain and carried by the side with point down neither is ideal. Any blade of over 2 shaku is a Daito so that would be appropriate

Hi

From a koshirae point of view, the closest description would be handachi. :D Regardless of the position of the mei, unless there are two ashi on the koshirae they cannot be described as a tachi. The classification is by koshirae type and not by the style of the blade and its mei.

The correct way to describe them is however just plain gunto. Stick to the correct one and you wont be in danger of decieving yourself or anyone else about owning a tachi or a katana when you actually dont. Harsh but true I'm afraid.

Hi thanks for your thoughts. I knew about tachi mei and katana mei so it is the type or what type that made me confused. I thought maybe I wasn't the only one that felt a bit confused about these types of koshirae. Thanks folks for you replies

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..