re 1944 mount sword

markc

Dear Members,

i aquired this one nakago unseen and to me reads "takashi" jan 1944 please correct me if i am wrong. the mounts are late 44 in very good condition as is the blade with some minor pitting to the boshi. The nakago bears two stamps on on the nakago and one on the mune both na or nagoya stamps, George mentioned in a previous post this may indicate gendaito?

Any opinions or comments would be appreciated

thank you

markc

post-1775-14196789781295_thumb.jpg

post-1775-14196789785292_thumb.jpg

I'd have read it "Takamasa" also, but an online oshigata reference gives the reading as "Takashi" as well (Don't have my Slough's handy to check it further):

takashi.jpg

Perhaps with a few pictures of the blade someone here could venture an opinion as to whether it's gendaito or not. With no Showa/Seki/Gifu stamp it MIGHT be gendaito, but not necessarily.

Hi Mark. without more pics (overall nakago shape, finish, blade detail etc) it is very difficult to give an opinion.

I will say however, that the pics indicate to me that the "finish" of the nakago is typical of Seki gunto work. The mei style also is typical of Seki....probably na-kiri-shi mei.

The earlier discussion you mention on the requirements of the regulations on gendai tosho making swords for the military in the RJT scheme very strongly emphasize the careful finishing of the nakago, the signing of the mei by the man who made the blade and (before 1943) the marking of the nakago with the particular army workshop logo where it was made, such as Saka (Osaka) and Na (Nagoya) etc, which is really a "location" mark, not necessarily a "quality" mark...after 1943 it was all "star" stamp and made in individual private locations...this is a true "quality" mark as they did not get the star unless they conformed in all respects to material, quality, dimensions etc.

In your case, I think this man is Yasuda Takamasa (started in Seki 27/10/1942). While it may have "na" stamp, it is just a "location" sign that it went through the Nagoya military system. I must say that in my experience, most of these "type 3" swords are semi-mass produced gunto , just like most in "type 98" fittings are.

Finally, some good pics would be helpful, but I think the signs are already there that the sword is a Showato/gunto.

Regards,

George.

thank you all for your replies, this gives me a direction for futher reasearch. i will post some further pictures of blade and nakago as soon as i get time.

as always i really appreciate the forum members assistance.

regards

markc

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..