Yumi mei.

MikeS

G'day all.

I need some help with the translation of a Yumi I own. It is dated Tenpo Ju ? Nen. (1839). There are two unknown characters and then the mei which looks like Yoshinobu although I am unsure of the Nobu part. There is a twin of this bow at the following websight http://www.artsofthesamurai.com/Acker/html/yumi.html Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers

Mik Smith.

post-2178-14196785948971_thumb.jpg

The “?” part in your reading for the date is 亥 (I; boar).

The small two characters below the date may be 籐漆 (cane and lacquer).

The mei may be Yoshitaka (義誉 or 義登?). However, I am unsure about the last character. :?:

Mik -

Your date is 天保十亥 or Tenpo Ju I nen or the Tenth year of Tenpo junior year of the Earth Rat. I think Yoshinobu is correct not sure of the family name - may look at it again later but suspect others will suss that out before I do...

-t

I do not think that the two characters below the date mean a family name. If it is a family name, there is not reason to write it in small characters. I think that it means that the craftsman who signed was reaponsible for cane and lacquer work.

Thanks Moriyama and Tom.

I like the look of the second Yoshitaka. The two characters I thought may have been a place name but "cane and lacquer" craftsman makes sense. I have attached an image of the Ebira and Yanone that came with it.

Thanks again.

Mike Smith.

post-2178-14196786047593_thumb.jpg

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..