Mark Green and my new Nihonto

I got a new blade in today and brought it to Marks house. Mark lives 1:45 hours away, and took the time to come down a few weeks ago and give me a book (connoisseurs), and show me many swords and tsuba. I was very happy with my visit. Mark is a gracious host, who took alot of time looking at my nihonto, and tsuba. He showed me alot of stuff hands on, and we even got to go over the basics of making your own tsuba. We did forget to take pictures for the board, but i will try my best to scan the new much longer blade. I will post them here later so as not to mispost a new thread. But the main reason for my post was to share with you people that Mark is a great guy, who is showing me alot and has a vast knowledge of many different things. From making armor to making tsuba Mark has a handle on it. I can not wait for my next visit, and I hope all of you have met someone or have someone like this in your life! Thank you NMB members. You have all been helpful and supportive.

edit: grammatical

Shinto, well made, good boshi, may be in original polish. Very healthy.

2nd shinto or possibly late muromachi. has had a several polishes. blade is lively and in good health. active hamon and boshi. 20.5inches

lots of saya scuffs. whole blade is beautiful but scuffs hide many qualities. no idea where saya is...... gonna have to start harassing seller.

Shinogi was perfect oin one side, on other there did apear to be a small undulating. on closer inspection seemed to be an area that was maybe scratched or flattened through i would guess numerous mountings, giving the appearance of undulating. Not 100% sure on it. The new one is straight from tip to tap. and it is pretty sexxxy. great sharp lines, yokote is well placed. I will do measurements and post soon.

Hi Gang,

Thanks Jason :oops:

It was good to see Jason and his new swords. I remember that Kind of 'fire' oh too well.

Both swords seem to be in very good condition.

The shorter wak is not cut down. Not sure what the deal is with the bit of a wave on the shinogi? The file marks, and patina look to match well.

I would say shinto. Very healthy, and with the exception of a bit of rust stains, and a few surface pits, it is in fine shape.

Good looking Hada, Boshi, and hamon. Should polish up fine, if that is how you want to take it forward.

The longer wak is a bit harder to place. The nakago looks a bit 'AGED' to me, I would think it is too long for koto, it is 20+in. and the hamachi has been move up just a bit. It has been polish many times, but still looks healthy enough. The boshi looked ok, and the hada looked very nice. It was hard to see the hamon, but it looked like a bit of cool stuff going on in there. Very nice gunome. Looked very Bungo to me. :lipssealed: In all, I think Jason did very well for his first blades. The price was great, and the swords are whole, and alive, and both would polish up very nice.

Worth polishing? well, that is in the mind of the keeper. They would look much better no doubt. Would you ever get your money back on that? Not likely, but all that is up to you. These swords were dieing a slow death until Jason came allong.

Now, they will likely live on. we have slowed down the damage, and they have someone that loves and cares for them now, reguardless of any further restoration.

I look forward to seeing them again for further study. Thanks Jason for bringing them over for a look.

I'm sure I will see you soon. Mark G

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..