Searching for best book?

For Imperial (i.e. 1868-1945) blades:

Fuller & Gregory: Military Swords of Japan 1868-1945, and also Japanese Military and Civil Swords and Dirks. From Jim Dawson, Swords of Imperial Japan, 1868-1945.

I only have the last one in that list so I cannot compare quality. I know the Fuller & Gregory works remain in demand for a reason. Military and Civil Swords and Dirks is the longest and has the most expensive used price, so perhaps that's the standard? I don't know, that period isn't really part of my own interest.

Cheers,

—GLL

For Imperial (i.e. 1868-1945) blades:

Fuller & Gregory: Military Swords of Japan 1868-1945, and also Japanese Military and Civil Swords and Dirks. From Jim Dawson, Swords of Imperial Japan, 1868-1945.

I only have the last one in that list so I cannot compare quality. I know the Fuller & Gregory works remain in demand for a reason. Military and Civil Swords and Dirks is the longest and has the most expensive used price, so perhaps that's the standard? I don't know, that period isn't really part of my own interest.

Cheers,

—GLL

Yes, I am familiar with their books.I should ask whether there is a better book?

Thx,Dean

THe only other one I know of (just remembered it) is John Slough's "Modern Japanese Swordsmiths 1868-1945," but I know nothing about this book, including whether its focus is on gunto or gendaito. Then there are also books on the Yasukuni shrine swords and the Kapp/Yoshihara modern Japanese swordsmith books, but those are less extensive/referential and have a more gendaito focus than "Imperial weapons" focus.

So no, I can't really advise you, sorry! Good luck, —GLL

Look at "Swords of Imperial Japan 1869-1945 Cyclopedia Edition" by Jim Dawson.

It is a recent release and will be substantially less expensive than the Fuller and Gregory editions. It is arguably more comprehensive as well.

"Modern Japanese Swordsmiths", while an invaluable oshigata book of Gendai Tosho, does not go into depth on variations of Kyu, Kai and Shin gunto.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..