tanto tsuba shape

Can anyone enlighten me on the shape or style of this tsuba and the approximate era ?

Just bought it because of it's shape and if I am lucky it will fit one of my yorio toshi.

Thanks in advance.

tanto tsuba 1.jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Shuko said:

.....Just bought it because of it's shape and if I am lucky it will fit one of my yorio toshi.....

If you meant YOROI-DOSHI, they usually have a thickness of 9 mm or more, so the NAKAGO-ANA of this TSUBA will perhaps not fit. 

The design is called ITO-MAKI in Japanese.

1 hour ago, ROKUJURO said:

If you meant YOROI-DOSHI, they usually have a thickness of 9 mm or more, so the NAKAGO-ANA of this TSUBA will perhaps not fit. 

The design is called ITO-MAKI in Japanese.

Thanks for the information Jean, and yes I did mean yoroi doshi. Will measure this tsuba when it arrives and see what fits as I have a few tanto with motokasane from 6 mm to 9 mm. 

cheers

The tsuba has been made from cutting it out of a large katana tsuba (damaged ?). On one outer side I can see the cutting marks and it is uneven. The only sword it fits is a very large katana but it looks stupid. The nakago-ana is too big for any tanto or normal wakizashi or slender katana.

The Japanese seller made an honest mistake in describing it as a tanto tsuba purely based on its diameter and I didn't notice the plastic ruler across the whole tsuba which did indicate it had a large nakago-ana. The seller offered me a refund or discount but as this was a cheap tsuba I didn't worry as I intend to buy more later on. So we both had a tsuba lesson :)

• Like 1