New purchase, seeking info Ōmi Daijō Fujiwara Kunimichi

new2nihonto

Best I have determined signature is Ōmi Daijō Fujiwara Kunimichi.

I am assuming this is before Kunimichi was give the title Dawa Daijo, but that is a guess. I have ordered books to better research.

I am awaiting delivery. Got a little bid happy, and will need to budget for a polish. Wish I could get a little polish and bring it to SHINSA Orlando.

https://www.invaluab...n-lot/lot_DC34F7DBDB

• Like 1
  • Love 1

I would love to see some pics when you get this one. I was watching this at first as starting price was low and i happened to be within driving distance of auction house. I wish you the best of luck, you took quite a stab with the 28% buyer's premium from Clarke Auction Gallery on top of the selling price. Fittings are what I would love to see close up pics of, can't make out the menuki and the fuchi looks like an animal head of some sort. Hope this one turns out to be a great blade.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/11/2024 at 9:07 PM, cluckdaddy76 said:

I would love to see some pics when you get this one. I was watching this at first as starting price was low and i happened to be within driving distance of auction house. I wish you the best of luck, you took quite a stab with the 28% buyer's premium from Clarke Auction Gallery on top of the selling price. Fittings are what I would love to see close up pics of, can't make out the menuki and the fuchi looks like an animal head of some sort. Hope this one turns out to be a great blade.

@cluckdaddy76 here's the photos Swords. The blade is better condition than the auction photos.
I plan to use some Renaissance Prelim and see if I can restore some of the luster on the stand, you can see the original sparkly enamel where the vertical piece inserts

DSC07485.jpg

DSC07497.jpg

Looks like an ITOMAKI no TACHI, but parts of the ITO is not well restored.

Would be interesting to see photos of the NAKAGO as the value of most swords lies there and not in the mountings.
If you post, please:

-  pictures of the NAKAGO (tip pointing upwards) and of the naked blade

-  taken directly from above

-  with light from the side

-  well focused

-  against a dark background to get a good contrast

-  and presented as cut-out so nothing detracts from the item itself

On 3/22/2024 at 4:02 PM, ROKUJURO said:

Looks like an ITOMAKI no TACHI, but parts of the ITO is not well restored.

Would be interesting to see photos of the NAKAGO as the value of most swords lies there and not in the mountings.
If you post, please:

-  pictures of the NAKAGO (tip pointing upwards) and of the naked blade

-  taken directly from above

-  with light from the side

-  well focused

-  against a dark background to get a good contrast

-  and presented as cut-out so nothing detracts from the item itself

I've added more photos to the link above attempting to get a good focus and according to your request. I think they will be sorted when you view, but I have named them to just in case

I cannot comment on the age of the KOSHIRAE (might indeed be younger and even MEIJI) but I think the blade is older than that, possibly EDO era. It is a true TACHI, as the MEI shows. It might not have been used on a battlefield but was perhaps more a representation sword.

Thanks for the comments - koshirae wrap does cover 80% of the mekugi hole on one side and it is loose on the makidome end, allowing about 1/2" of movement.  Tsuba and surrounding hardware fit tight, but the blade itself does not fit snug into the says and the koiguchi will fall off (loose).

While new to Japanese swords, I feel I could do better for the price point. Hope to get it to Shinsa for analysis @DTM72 . Maybe it will end up back at auction :laughing:

14 hours ago, ROKUJURO said:

...............It is a true TACHI, as the MEI shows. It might not have been used on a battlefield but was perhaps more a representation sword.

The sword has a katana mei.

• Like 2