Tanto from Japan

Because the smith made it that way, and because you bought it that way.

But then why or for what purpose did he make such a small Tanto? Hmmm... they came in all sizes. 

(How does your u-no-kubi blade length work out in centimeters?)

13 minutes ago, Bugyotsuji said:

Because the smith made it that way, and because you bought it that way.

But then why or for what purpose did he make such a small Tanto? Hmmm... they came in all sizes. 

Sorry, i'm a novice at tanto collecting. That's why I asked.

It's a good question to stir the old brain cells, Henry. I had to ask myself, would a lady fancy such a shape? But no answer came. I'd be interested to hear other people's thoughts.

I have a tanto which lacks a kurikata sageo cord bridge. A collector friend said "Oh, this makes it for a lady." Another collector friend said, "No, not necessarily." I am still learning.

For example, we can find ladies in kimono wearing tanto decoratively at the kimono foldover.

Such a tanto could be used for self-defense, or more likely, as Stephen suggests, for suicide to prevent desecration and protect virtue.

(But is this one designed for a woman? And in the case of defensive attack or suicide, I can imagine a lady using anything to hand, e.g. that of a retainer, or even her husband's blade.)

I was just throwing out the idea of it being for a lady but as you note, that's probably wrong.

What about something simple like the smith didn't have enough steel to make a thicker blade? Could be any number of reasons.

John C.

• Sad 1