Possible fatal flaw

Ilovekatana

I just got a sword that I purchased from Japan in the mail today and decided to take a close look at it. I found what might might be a karasuguchi. Is it one? Apologies for the picture quality. Also the hamon seem have a darkened line in the same area does any know what that might be. Also one more question which pertains to the second photo, why does color on the steel of the mune change.

20240307_130218.jpg

20240307_132719.jpg

If you open the image in a separate tab(it makes the picture a bit easier to see). Look just above where the light is and a little bit to the right, you should be able to see a very thin line(thats what I think the crack is).

Dear Joseph.

If the crack is sharply defined, almost geometric then be concerned.  If it meanders then it might well be a forging lamination that you are seeing and no cause for concern.

All the best.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I can try to take some pictures of it, but I can't guarantee that they will look good( I don't have easy access to a good camera/ setup and have almost no experience taking pictures of nihonto). As for the backstory, I was looking through yahoo auctions Japan via jauce and saw a sword I liked at my price range, bid on it, and won.

Edit: the sword itself is unpapered and signed Sagami kuni junin Masahiro Saku. I plan to submit it to shinsa when I have the chance, hopefully to learn more about it(Such as if its a gimei or not). 

I thought it may be helpful if a central reference point were provided. The attached page is from the Sword and Same' book by Joly and Hogitaro. I can find a no more comprehensive standard reference. I hope this is of some help. :D

https://www.militaria.co.za/nmb/uploads/monthly_09_2010/post-1773-1419678820626.jpg (double click to enlarge)

Ware can be found almost anywhere on a blade including within the hamon.

I'm not exactly certain what this line is or should be called. 

If this line ran down and extended to the ha, that would be an issue. 

Seeing that it does not, it may be just be a matter of living with it.

If you really want to know, ask and talk to a polisher about it.

Regards,

https://www.Japanese...rdindex.com/kizu.htm