Late war 1944 pattern officers sword (RINJI SEISHIKI 1940) - date inscription?

grapppa

I recently purchased a this sword - mei on both sides - however, what I think is a date inscription is very very lightly struck and hard to discern.   The maker, on the other hand, is much easier; Kaneyoshi I believe.  I  can discern 6 mei.     to be continued with more pics....   I will post details of the sword in the Military section later....

20240226_174845.jpg

20240228_142101.jpg

• Like 1

There were 2 in Seki with that signature, Okada Takeshi Kaneyoshi and Kawai Yoshifumi Kaneyoshi.  But based on the mei style and yasurime shown in Slough it looks like Kawai, but needs confirmation.   But I am not 100% sure...in post below are some other Kaneyoshi. listed as Okada and look a bit like yours ???   So appears some confusion in descriptions.

兼義 Kaneyoshi (河合 義文 Kawai Yoshifumi) Born: Meiji 35 (1902) Oct 25; Reg: Showa 14 (1939) Oct 25/20?   In 1937 at Kamo-gun, Kajita-mura, Shita-machi. In 1939 same address. Had one deshi in 1937.  He was  a nephew of, and trained under Watanabe Kanenaga in Seki-machi. Became independent in Showa 9 (1934).  In 1941: 6th shinsakuto exhibition was 2nd level of 5.  In the 1942: Toshu Banzuke was 5th level of 7 (Chu Saku). Became Rikugun Jumei Tosho.  Slough (p.74) oshigata below:  Seki ju Kaneyoshi saku  関住兼義作. This has Sho stamp and early war.  F&G 1983 oshigata similar cut date and nijimei (but takanoha yasurime) assuming is same smith, same as yours and looks like arsenal product.  With Nagoya "NA" stamp   @Bruce Pennington   Some tosho worked in both arsenals and private workshops.

ky1.JPG.eb8f9ff9d2c5f9cdd45462be7fe554b1.JPG        ky2.JPG.475fe0575fbf846f4cc014e11cfc1a5f.JPG

• Thanks 2