Any stats on gimei?

One of my favourite swords i had in the past came from The Col Hartley collection.

I believe I purchased it from Ed from Yakiba.com as he studied under the Col. 

it was a known gimi Shinkai. 
I had the gimi removed , then polished then shinsa. I didn’t care who the smith was, it was a great sword to start. I indulged my fancy submitting to shinsa. 😝

1 hour ago, NihontoSeeker said:

it was a known gimi Shinkai. 

I had the gimi removed , then polished then shinsa. I didn’t care who the smith was, it was a great sword to start. I indulged my fancy submitting to shinsa. 😝

And it was?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Andrew Ickeringill said:

I’ve not studied rocket science, but if one can tell the difference between two atoms by looking at them under a microscope then it’s not **** kantei!!!!!!!!!!! Obviously, if you know what to look for then it makes it doable.

Kantei, not some kind of magic power that Jacques seems to elude to, obviously that was the point i was making. If you have studied their blades then obviously it would be easier and doable.

Again, not studied Tadatsuna or the differences involved in their work and i don't have lots and lots of data regarding them. If i was buying one of their blades i would make dam sure i did!.

I get the picture, must be similar work with subtle difference, like you might see in various other smiths, Hizen, whatever.

Luckily for me i never have to split hairs over such issues as mine come with a mei and a nakago, like at a Shinsa which is what the thread is about.

An important point i forgot to mention. This thread is a matter of perspective, its not about picking at the NBTHK et al.  For me its about doing all you can to make sure what you buy is authentic and legit and NOT just relying on other opinions. Folks can make this task simple or difficult depending on the blades they choose. One can be ignorant and rely on papers, they do say ignorance is bliss.

Again, horses for courses.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, jesup said:

And it was?

A comment about shinsa. I've just had a beautiful Shinto sword restored. Togoshi felt Ishido, NTHK shinsa came back as just "Ishido" both the togoshi and I feel the the blade is very high quality a what the NTHK did was un professional with just a school attribution.

it came back as Ishido school. Perhaps the shinsa team was put off by the gimei removel. i no longer have the sword, it was a real chopper found an old pic

ishido.jpg

2 hours ago, NihontoSeeker said:

A comment about shinsa. I've just had a beautiful Shinto sword restored. Togoshi felt Ishido, NTHK shinsa came back as just "Ishido" both the togoshi and I feel the the blade is very high quality a what the NTHK did was un professional with just a school attribution.

it came back as Ishido school. Perhaps the shinsa team was put off by the gimei removel. i no longer have the sword, it was a real chopper found an old pic

ishido.jpg

Reuben

If they cant narrow it down, then they cant narrow it down.

If you want a more precise paper, then buy a signed Ishido and do some some serious research.

You highlight my points

7 hours ago, Alex A said:

Again, not studied Tadatsuna or the differences involved in their work and i don't have lots and lots of data regarding them.

Okay, which schools did you study at ?

• Downvote 2

Jacques, going around in circles again.

All you need to to know (again) is that i don't spend money without research. That does not make me an "expert" as you seem to think that is what I'm saying, it means I'm sensible and wise.

Even Shinsa teams need info resources, its not all off the top of the head.

I'm now coming to the end of my collecting journey, experiences bad and good accumulated and now my thoughts are forged.

So in that respect, my advice here might sound harsh/hardcore.  Perhaps trying to help folks make better decisions that many are not interested in.  Folks find their own ways.

That's all I'm saying, now definitely finished with this thread.

7 hours ago, Alex A said:

All you need to to know (again) is that i don't spend money without research.

Would love to know what kind of research. Personally, if I don't know, i don't buy.