Painted numbers (?) on gunto nakago

This is in no way nihonto-related but, as a matter of fact, I feel I have reached an impasse as to the interpretation of what I think should be a painted number on the nakago of my gunto. Its fittings all bear the number 10 together with a Japanese character (= su?), so maybe the yellow painted characters are somehow related to them?

At any rate, the yellow characters were deemed "unreadable/illegible" by other Japanese sword experts...

011d.jpg

There are many possible interpretations, among them maybe "formal" 10:

014.jpg

015.jpg

Actually, all I would need to know is whether the yellow painted numbers/characters could possibly be read as , that is "su" + "formal 10".  That way I would know for sure that the blade and the koshirae have been together since 1941 :thanks:

Regards,

Didier

As improbable as it may sound to some of you on here, @Bruce Pennington's theory might be the right one, as I have found two other such instances of gunto assembly numbers painted in Arabic numerals:

A702bis.jpg

Apost-3858-0-60847200-1593500730_thumb.jpg

The difference, though, is that the Arabic numerals were painted horizontally and not vertically, but the presence of the Japanese ス might explain that.

Now I think somebody should move this post to a more adequate section...