Large tsuba fukurin Tosho?

Ron M

Hello All, my apologies if I have posted this before. I have this large tsuba, 85mmx80mm, 6mm thick. Probably not much to know but thoughts on why someone would take time to put the rim on and old turd. If you look at the pics closely there are some gouged or engraved lines on the plate following the shape of the fukurin. Plate is flat except where metal has been rusted away. Shape of Ana is sea cucumber? Fukurin seam is at the 5:30 position on tsuba. Heavy and possibly old. ThanksIMG_2954.thumb.jpeg.4271819fddf5fb44d63c40a23774aa6c.jpegIMG_2956.thumb.jpeg.d15cb1f269f88499068da521307952de.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Well the joint for the fukurin is in the correct place, this is just a guess but the guard may have been a family heirloom, passed down the generations. From the condition of the plate there may well have been damage to the original rim which was covered up by the fukurin. On some occasions the fukurin itself can damage the metal underneath by holding moisture causing Galvanic corrosion action between the two different metals. 

Whatever the reason, the fukurin was added because someone thought it was worth the trouble and we should respect that intention. It does give the piece a certain robust look. :thumbsup:

• Like 3
  • Love 1

Ron,

I would not see the heavy corrosion necessarily as a sign of age. In addition to that, TOSHO and KO-TOSHO style TSUBA are different as they typically have KO SUKASHI cut-outs, and they tend to be rather thin, namely the KO-TOSHO versions.