Iron Tosogu, Happy New Year 2024

Bugyotsuji

This koshirae I've had for many years, normally pushed into the mawashi on the trusty armour display. 

The reason I liked it was the iron tosogu, all original, each piece lined with a thin frame in shinchu brass.

This aikuchi has an old style koikuchi, locking into silver sleeves on either side.

The shakudo menuki look like Daikoku San or Hotei San with his sack. (?)

The kozuka blade is signed by Bishu Osafune Ju Yokoyama Sukekane, which is a bonus for me as I have a Sukekane tanto which ME LOVE! :wub:

And, ...the kozuka handle is iron with a bamboo vase flower arrangement zogan of New Year 'ume' in shinchu brass, silver, gold and copper.

IMG_1877.thumb.jpeg.e2f2c43751fbcf8bc85a5bc9a4c3af03.jpeg

IMG_1868.thumb.jpeg.c6b186937d15e32608904a10e8109ab6.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Love 1

Heres some iron koshirae for a tachi of mine, mounted as an uchigatana.

All matching authentic fittings, im definitely a huge fan of iron fittings. I did however add the kogai as it was missing from the set.

The photos make the iron look alot more "brown" than it really is, but i'm sure it could do with some cleaning.

image_6483441.thumb.JPG.2e4cc8b09a6b7cf18da3ea81b7e5acdb.JPG

• Like 7
  • Love 1

Quick update on the Sukekane kozuka blade above.

Took the kozuka to the NBTHK meeting yesterday, planning to ask whether it would be worth polishing, and saying... 'Yes, I know, these kozuka blade Mei are usually dedications by someone to a swordsmith they admire or aspire to."

The Sensei took one look at the signature and said, "No, that's a genuine Sukekane Mei you have there."  

One of our members is a semi-professional polisher. It turns out that the backside is finished in a kind of yasurime file pattern that was probably intentional, never having been designed to take a polish. Plus it is quite 'togiberi' anyway, slimmed from plentiful use and repeated sharpenings. A hamon might appear there, but not much of it would be left.

Glad I felt the urge to consult. :thumbsup:

• Like 2