discussion about rare Japanese dirk

I'm away from my books.  Have you researched to see what type dirk this is?  I want to say Forestry or Railway Board.  I know we have a dirk collector here at NMB, maybe we can get them to comment.  I know there is a guy with a lot of info on dirks at Warrelics, but it seems to be down right now for maintenance or something.

On 1/4/2024 at 12:21 AM, antiquegallery said:

Hello everyone, guys. I want to talk about a rare Japanese dirk.

Please see the pictures in the scabbard and handle.
how about the big blade?

2023_12_22_15_43_IMG_1700.JPG

Your dirk, with the 5 7 5 paulownia pattern, is intended for the Governor’s Headquarters of Korea. The Railroad Bureau uses the 3 5 3 paulownia pattern.

WechatIMG2240.jpeg

• Like 3

21 hours ago, BANGBANGSAN said:

Ваш кортик із візерунком 5 7 5 павловнії призначений для штаб-квартири губернатора Кореї. Залізничне бюро використовує шаблон 3 5 3 павловнія.

WechatIMG2240.jpeg

Thanks for information it's awesome for me. I saw mach images at scabbard but this one is unique.

• Like 1

On 1/6/2024 at 6:46 AM, BANGBANGSAN said:

The Railroad Bureau uses the 3 5 3 paulownia pattern.

Trystan,

Curious to know your source on that.  The only reference book I have that discusses various dirks is F&G Japanese Military and Civil Swords and Dirks.  On pages 183, 184, he shows this exact pattern, for the National Railways Board Dirks, Junior and Senior.  In his discussion, he states they both carried the 5:7:5.  He states that the drawing of a 3:5:3 in Swords of Imperial Japan 1868-1945 was an error.

Good day! The emperor cannot be wrong. The picture, which was kindly provided by Nick Komiya, from the imperial decree of 1909 on the introduction of dagger of the Ministry of National Railways. It clearly shows that 3-5-3 paulownia was used on the dagger of junior officials (such corts are relatively common). The dagger of senior officials has completely different images on the fittings.

52decbf6 (1).jpg

1 hour ago, Bruce Pennington said:

Thanks Alex and Trystan!

So the OP dirk is a Korean Governor dirk.  A 3:5:3 would be a Railway Board, Junior officer dirk.

Thanks guys!

Bruce

The Governor-General of Chōsen(朝鮮総督府) uses the 575 Paulownia seal.

The Ministry of Justice (法務省) and the Imperial Guard (皇宮護衛/警察) also employ the 353 Paulownia as their seal.

Governor General of Chōsen(朝鮮総督府).jpg

Ministry of Justice (法務省).jpg

Imperial Guard (皇宮護衛:警察).jpg

• Wow 1

• 2 months later...

Interesting.  That would explain why my Junior Railway dagger has a hand-made blade.  I often wondered why such a low level position would have such a nice blade.  If I understand this thread correctly, the 5-7-5 Paulownia configuration is for a much higher official in the Governor General's office in Korea. 

5-7-5 scabbard 2.jpg

5-7-5 scabbard.jpg

5-7-5 throat.jpg

5-7-5.jpg

• Like 1