Information on smith

Nicholas

Hi Nicholas,

The only one of the references included in The Index of Japanese Sword Literature that contains an oshigata of this smith is Fujishiro's Nihon Toko Jiten, Shinto-hen. Chujo saku, called Chusaburo, studied with 1st generation Tadatsuna, and used a different kanji for Kane earlier in his career (from Harry Watson's translation). As all of the major references are in the Index, it isn't likely you'll find many other oshigata.

Grey

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Grey Doffin said:

Hi Nicholas,

The only one of the references included in The Index of Japanese Sword Literature that contains an oshigata of this smith is Fujishiro's Nihon Toko Jiten, Shinto-hen. Chujo saku, called Chusaburo, studied with 1st generation Tadatsuna, and used a different kanji for Kane earlier in his career (from Harry Watson's translation). As all of the major references are in the Index, it isn't likely you'll find many other oshigata.

Grey

Thanks Grey,

This is the only reference I could find also.

16 minutes ago, Jussi Ekholm said:

Here is the mei from Fujishiro. I was really puzzled this was the only signature reference I could find fast. I was thinking I could easily get few but then again I don't track Edo period smiths at all.

20231125_211534.thumb.jpg.e3c878c3e36129be748e67472c43c30e.jpg

Thank you Jussi,

This was the only reference I could find in books and on the internet searching. I guess Kanetsuna is just one of those smiths that is not well documented.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..