Sword earlier

Tommac

This is a hard question to answer because of the overall condition, however the nakago itself shows very bright showa-period steel with a lot of recent red rust. Theoretically someone could have cleaned the nakago and then it rusted, but the kengyo shape appears to be original, both holes are drilled and the nakago's surface is processed rather haphazardly. I would not be optimistic that its an old blade.

Yes the sword is as I got it I bought 2 from guy walking around super cheap so figured I better own them.the nco is a mismatch blade and scabbard but fairly decent shape there was no story with them other than money transfer .

Thanks tom

Yes the sword is as I got it I bought 2 from guy walking around super cheap so figured I better own them.the nco is a mismatch blade and scabbard but fairly decent shape there was no story with them other than money transfer .

Thanks tom

Tom:

You may need to wait for those folks who are acquainted with kantei to help out, however I can give you some of my observations.

It looks to me as if the kissaki has been re-worked. Note the sharp angle. Also, it seems there is a filled mekugi-ana, which would suggest it has been remounted. These in conjunction with the deep sori suggest to me this is an older blade in gunto mounts. But again, take with a grain of salt until the experts weigh in.

John C. 

Screen Shot 2023-10-22 at 3.44.31 PM.png

Screen Shot 2023-10-22 at 3.45.36 PM.png

• Like 1

Tom,

Usually, the nihonto guys don't hesitate to speculate on old blades.  But since Kirill (Rivikin) gave his opinion, no one else has joined in.  I agree with his observation that the rust looks WWII era.  I don't know why there would be 3 mekugi ana (the existing 2 plus the filled one) on a late-war WWII blade, but everything about this gunto says "late war" to me.  

On 10/25/2023 at 5:20 PM, Tommac said:

No other number

Thanks, that makes more sense.  I thought that "8" was a "3".

Is that case of swords, yours?  If so, would you mind posting some photos of that darkened Type 32 on the military forum here:

Military Swords of Japan - Nihonto Message Board (militaria.co.za)

I would say it is older then Ww2 and maybe shinshinto but this is only a guess. 
It’s very hard because of the messed with Nakago and there is really not much more to look at. 
Without the machiokuri I think it would be koshizori and could be much older but many shapes had revivals and one must see the steel and hardening to find out more. 
That’s all I can say sorry. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..