What can you tell me about this sword?

Misterbovigoren

29 minutes ago, Misterbovigoren said:

..... What can you tell me about it? .....

Well, as you have it in your hands, you should be able to tell us what it is.

Generally, it is helpful to show the pictures in the right orientation, that is tip upwards. Then I have the impression that the polish is not executed in the traditional way. The NAKAGO looks as if it was cleaned a bit, too?

• Love 1

Mino style, boshi is not sugu, very straight with large kissaki - generally hints towards shinshinto, Tensho or Nambokucho. The style is a bit too much Mino to be early, so either Tensho or someone in shinshinto who worked in a traditional Mino style, alike to 10th generation Aizu Kanesada.

My personal guess would be the end of Muromachi, sue Seki as the most likely attribution.

P.S. The restoration was a bit untraditional.

• Love 1

1 hour ago, Misterbovigoren said:

I purchased this while it was in quite bad shape and had it restored by Josiah Boomershine. What can you tell me about it? Thanks!

Help me identify this wakizashi? https://imgur.com/gallery/AOM4GMl

1 hour ago, ROKUJURO said:

Well, as you have it in your hands, you should be able to tell us what it is.

Generally, it is helpful to show the pictures in the right orientation, that is tip upwards. Then I have the impression that the polish is not executed in the traditional way. The NAKAGO looks as if it was cleaned a bit, too?

Thanks for the response! I will remember to orient the sword properly next time. I am quite novice when it comes to nihonto, but I wish to learn as much as I can. I don't know if the nakago was cleaned, but I know I didn't clean it. As far as the polish, I don't know what way Mr. Boomershine executed it. I reached out to a few different togiri (?) And none of them would take on the project due to a lack of signature on the nakago. 

Hi Buchanan,

a serious TOGISHI would never reject a blade if it has no signature. There must have been other reasons. 

I can't add much to Kirill's comment other than the blade might have been shortened (O-SURIAGE?) at one time. If it is an older blade this might explain the condition of the NAKAGO. But for that we would need good photos of the HAMACHI.

12 minutes ago, ROKUJURO said:

Hi Buchanan,

a serious TOGISHI would never reject a blade if it has no signature. There must have been other reasons. 

I can't add much to Kirill's comment other than the blade might have been shortened (O-SURIAGE?) at one time. If it is an older blade this might explain the condition of the NAKAGO. But for that we would need good photos of the HAMACHI.

13 minutes ago, ROKUJURO said:

Hi Buchanan,

It has been a year or two since I bought the sword and reached out, I may be remembering wrong. I bought a few wakizashi at the time so I may be mixing up the response I got with another. To your other point, I can upload better pictures of the Hamachi if that would help. Thanks!

9 minutes ago, Baba Yaga said:

Well, just starting with the elementary. Looks like you didn't have a new Habaki made, so you didn't have a new Saya? That's a problem with a new polish and going on the cheap, 

I had Mr. Boomershine make a new shirasaya for the blade as well as doing the polish. 

21 minutes ago, GeorgeLuucas said:

I'm not familiar with Mr. Boomershine, 

But what did he tell you about the blade?

Someone who is polishing Nihonto, and also had it in-hand, should be able to tell you more than we can with just these images

All he really told me was it seemed to be good quality and he thought it was older than shinto. I don't know if he has any qualifications, I'd just seen examples of his work and read good reviews about him.

4 hours ago, Rivkin said:

Mino style, boshi is not sugu, very straight with large kissaki - generally hints towards shinshinto, Tensho or Nambokucho. The style is a bit too much Mino to be early, so either Tensho or someone in shinshinto who worked in a traditional Mino style, alike to 10th generation Aizu Kanesada.

My personal guess would be the end of Muromachi, sue Seki as the most likely attribution.

P.S. The restoration was a bit untraditional.

I can't emphasize enough how grateful I am for your help. Sincerely. Thank you. 

10 hours ago, GeorgeLuucas said:

I'm not familiar with Mr. Boomershine, 

But what did he tell you about the blade?

Someone who is polishing Nihonto, and also had it in-hand, should be able to tell you more than we can with just these images

While I'm hesitant to mention non-professional polishers, he's had some good things said about his work from some I trust here.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..