Need expertise and advise, please

Alexander_R

• 1 month later...

One more, guys! Will be grateful for response. Is it really Yoshii Yoshinori saku Yukan
Japan, the blade Nanboku-chō period (1336-1392)?

"Yoshii Yoshinori mei ari" written in kanbun style. Then, on the other side, 以有疵揚之三善道長. Together, I think these inscriptions are trying to say this was a Yoshii Yoshinori blade (with mei), but that it was shortened by Miyoshi Michinaga, which caused the original mei to be lost.

Whether or not this is true is something that can only be judged by looking at the sword.

• Like 3

On 9/1/2023 at 6:15 PM, Alex A said:

1457 to 1460 Chu-jo rated

Suguha hamon

Only one Uda Kunimori in the Index and that's as much as you will learn from that source.

An obscure one, usually find them easily on this page http://www.sho-shin.com/hoku15.htm

Thank you again. In the description they attribute it to Edo period. Is it mistake?

B5B34177-F690-4CE8-93EB-98D73B3C6EF2.jpeg

Lol, you getting you pennys worth, reminded of the never ending story

Only one i found is Koto, check out the dates on the link for Uda

I would advise you to stop and learn a bit first

You may end up buying something you dont understand or can appreciate

As we have all done

Look for Hozen, if your unsure

cheers

Yoshii school has fairly common trait of gunome hamon. Here is small tidbit about the school: https://nihonto.com/bizen-yoshii-school/ Unfortunately it is not that highly valued school but the upside of that is that you can sometimes get good quality signed items of the school for "affordable" price.

16 hours ago, Jussi Ekholm said:

Yoshii school has fairly common trait of gunome hamon. Here is small tidbit about the school: https://nihonto.com/bizen-yoshii-school/ Unfortunately it is not that highly valued school but the upside of that is that you can sometimes get good quality signed items of the school for "affordable" price.

Thank you!

On 9/1/2023 at 6:15 PM, Alex A said:

1457 to 1460 Chu-jo rated

Suguha hamon

Only one Uda Kunimori in the Index and that's as much as you will learn from that source.

An obscure one, usually find them easily on this page http://www.sho-shin.com/hoku15.htm

Hi, can not find Kunimori mei in the page of Uda school. The last kanji (Mori) is very rare. Could you help me again? 

Hi Alexander

That was my point, don't think I've ever come across an Uda sword by a swordsmith that was not on that page.

As said obscure, very rare.

The good thing about such an unknown mei, it is less likely to be fake.

Saying that though, don't see enough information to work out whether its fake or not, hope its not expensive.

If the only information you have on this sword is what is present here, then don't buy it.

At the beginning of the thread you mention some substantial amounts of money, would dread to think you would spend that kind of money on this sword. 

As said, try and find a sword with Hozen.  

If there is nothing around of real interest then don't just buy something to fulfil the urge, something will come along eventually.

Learn a bit, appreciate it.

Wish i could help more. Perhaps someone else can.

Ps, buying swords from bad images is RISKY.

Sometimes the problem with English language sources is that they don't have kanji listed. There are multiple different Kunimori smiths that worked in Uda during Muromachi period.

Kunimori (国守) mid 1400's and possibly the most famous one featured in Fujishiro

Kunimori (国盛) early 1400's and according to some sources might be same smith as the following smith

Kunimori (国森) mid 1400's and according to tradition son of 2nd or 3rd Kunimune

The third one would be the smith in this case. Unfortunately I cannot provide an oshigata reference of him or any additional info. I haven't yet got a book focused on Uda school.

I am not sure if there are difficulties in getting a sword to your country but I would personally avoid auction houses. I have voiced my dislike for auction houses and their business practices several times. I would think you would get much better deal buying from a legitimate seller, for example someone as featured seller at this messageboard. While the item might be initially bit more expensive you will most times get much more value for your money in my opinion.

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..