Scarlet

Scarlet

Welcome Katie to NMB.

Sorry to say I have seen a few like it, the signature does not match the style of Soten. For what it is worth the quality of your piece is better than average.

Hope you didn't pay a fortune, I think most collectors here on the forum have bought something similar in the past [I know I did!] Something to study and learn from - I still have mine 40 years on!  

PS. They are still antique - over 100 years old

image.png.bb8f689aef6cf1825a90086c581d6f62.png

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/155554001232

• Like 1

I don't think its cast, but the soft contours of the strokes of the signature and the lower quality of the  carving suggest a lower quality copy. So I agree with SteveM probably Gimei (false signature). Dale, I like yours!

I agree with you I see casting bubbles on the ebay one. However, that doesn't mean the other one is cast! You have to examine each piece separately, in my opinion. I don't see any casting bubbles or sprue marks on the first one.

The pictures of the first one are blurry and show only one side, they might mask the most obvious defects. The overall impression is of a cast piece, and it is reinforced by the fact that Dale could quickly show an identical piece (one out of many, it seems) that is even more obviously cast. The owner can of course cling to the hope that hers is the only original, or she can make 2+2...

• Haha 1

On 5/16/2023 at 4:48 AM, Scarlet said:

Have looked online and I’m unable to find something similar.

I found these from past auctions on Worthpoint - https://www.worthpoint.com/inventory/search

You need to know what you are looking for - Shoki in this case. https://www.worthpoint.com/inventory/search?offset=0&query=tsuba+shoki&sort=BestMatch&saleLocation=WORLDWIDE&restrictTo=worldwide&_searchByTitle=true&_img=false&img=true&_noGreyList=false&noGreyList=true   it comes out with 109 possibles. Just asking for tsuba you will get 83,841 to sort through, a task I don't recommend!

shoki cast near bridge.jpg

Two more turn up under "bridge" search along with some of the others already seen.

shoki cast near bridge search.jpg

• Like 2

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..