Charming little ko-katchushi

Marius

This one is a small guard, 6.7 x 6.7 x 0.2 cm.  Again, I failed at photographing it, it looks much better in hand. 

Muromachi period, possibly worn on a short uchigatana (today called wakizashi) or sunnobi tanto.

One flaw: the hitsu ana wall (which I think was added later) has a hairline crack in the lower part, where it is thinnest and meets the seppa dai. The price should offset this, however.

Very nice iron, there are tiny little protruding spots of iron (the largest has the size of a pinhead) where the patina is off and bare iron shines through. I would leave it alone, just saying, so there are no surprises. These are visible in the last two pics. 

$250 (EUR230) incl. shipping to EU and US.

IMG_9216.thumb.jpeg.fa9c21be6215611fd5606d8bc9611b45.jpegIMG_9218.thumb.jpeg.d94acceee76eb03844d204c2b77e1b61.jpegIMG_9217.jpeg.5511c27b1a9bafdba3c04229dbf630e6.jpegIMG_9219.jpeg.c36038f7b33fd4fe2a9f8a0688c4ee0a.jpegIMG_9679.thumb.jpeg.507b9833fdeadfaba9bb801553d527ff.jpegIMG_9682.jpeg.1d73d807566a9053c515d8ef8354292e.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Love 2

An interesting thing - I have just now realised that the sukashi motif is a stylised dragonfly. I must have been blind :doh:

This offer runs until Sunday 24:00 GMT+1. After that this tsuba returns to my collection. Feel free to make me an offer in the meantime.

Thanks for looking :)

Thanks Alex :thumbsup:

I agree on the price, that is why the offer ends Sunday - I just like this tsuba :)

As to how it was mounted, I have some thoughts... Given the size of the sekigane, one can imagine that the nakago ana is pretty big. My take is that was first mounted on a wakizashi, and after that (with the sekigane) on a tanto. Was it a yoroi doshi? Perhaps, but it must have been long, as a tsuba of this size would look disproportionately large on a blade of 20-24cm.

Anyway, I guarantee that the buyer will be satisfied :) 

• Thanks 1

from wikipedia :) :

The yoroi-dōshi is an extra thick tantō, a short sword, which appeared in the Sengoku period (late Muromachi) of the 14th and 15th centuries.[4] The yoroi-dōshi was made for piercing armour[5] and for stabbing while grappling in close quarters.

They have a thick triangular cross-section so they don't snap when thrust into armor.

Here's a habaki for one to show the profile:

image.thumb.png.159a14a10c4b3317620e81cf61f498de.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..