Cutting Test

zilul

Evening gents,

the  mei , adjacent to the date on the attached picture I am reading as Ichi do otoshi , cannot find a reference for this mei that excludes the " no " kangi so assume that I may be reading it incorrectly, the secod picture , where the gold has been picked out / lost , I am reading as kesa otoshi, these mei are on the same blade so struggling to understand the context, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Paul

thumbnail_IMG_2658.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_2655.jpg

2 hours ago, zilul said:

cannot find a reference for this mei that excludes the " no "

Paul:

Not sure if this helps, however the "no" is usually only spoken, not written. So you normally will not find a "no" kanji within the mei. 

John C.

16 hours ago, uwe said:

“一胴落” and “袈裟落” I see the same!

Not unusual to have 2 tests on one sword, but the writing is a bit odd, I admit.

Uwe,

thanks for the reply, do you think that they are two different tests or one and the same?

17 hours ago, John C said:

Paul:

Not sure if this helps, however the "no" is usually only spoken, not written. So you normally will not find a "no" kanji within the mei. 

John C.

John,

thanks for taking the time to  reply and I would agree that to " no " is not written in mei but the reverse is true in cutting tests, the  attached is " ichi no do kiri otoshi " , the "no " is just below the ichi.

Paul

ichinodo.jpg.3a1a5dacc81b60b68eb3acc013ab4259.jpg

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..