Metal WW2 tsuka templates?

They are reinforces for Tsuka, sometimes applied to new Shin Gunto, more often as a quick and dirty supplement to an older sword refurbished for war.

I have a set with the original wood core, that then had Samegawa applied over. Go way back to Edo and you find really nice decorative ones used in place of Same.... These are not them though!

4.  Manufacture and sell merchandise, not only blades, but also Army mounts that are unlike other manufacturers.  Our newly-designed tsuka (handle) is practically unbreakable (a steel sheet is placed on both sides of the wood handle), it has the same appearance, but also combines practical use and beauty.  We believe this type of tsuka is especially needed for a blade which has short nakago (tang).  A detailed catalog will be mailed as soon as you order.

Slough, John Scott. An Oshigata Book of Modern Japanese Swordsmiths, 1868–1945. Rivanna River Company, 2001, page 259.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Bruce Pennington said:

With the double holes, do you think they were used on Rinji tsuka?

The upper hole in the flatter section is for the sarute barrel to pass through. I have a set that going by size were made for an old sword "upgraded" to being a shin-gunto, and much the same. The photo is of it as it was when purchased, since cleaned and stabilised. I posted more about it some time ago.

P23-05-16_15.33[1].jpg

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..