wooden box of a memorial Tanto

Volker62

Maybe it's just me, but the pictures seem too small to read?

The inside inscription is a little more visible.

陸軍(主計?)大尉 窪田?夫留魂刀

A blade containing the spirit of Kubota Something-o, captain something of the Army.

Cannot be sure with this picture quality.

The seals are not readable.

Pictures in bigger resolution would be helpful to read it in full.

• Like 1

満開の桜花が人々を楽しませて散りゆくよほに私の命を御国に捧げることも決して無駄ではないであろう

-         As full-blown cherry blossoms please people and fall, offering my life for my country will never be a waste.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Nobody said:

満開の桜花が人々を楽しませて散りゆくよほに私の命を御国に捧げることも決して無駄ではないであろう

-         As full-blown cherry blossoms please people and fall, offering my life for my country will never be a waste.

Sorry for a stupid question, but how could you read it with this resolution? I don't doubt your reading, but asking about the technical side of the possibility to read. Maybe I do something wrong and it shows too small on my screen?

55 minutes ago, Van said:

Sorry for a stupid question, but how could you read it with this resolution? I don't doubt your reading, but asking about the technical side of the possibility to read. Maybe I do something wrong and it shows too small on my screen?

You cannot enhance its resolution in this case, but you can enlarge the image on most devices.

IMG_1708.jpg

4 hours ago, Nobody said:

You cannot enhance its resolution in this case, but you can enlarge the image on most devices.

Yes, I know how to enlarge it. I'm asking about your ability to read even this low resolution.

I mean I can guess some parts of it even as it was. But small pieces that you cannot guess by logic, like the first kanji in the name?  How can you be sure about it?

Again, it's not that I doubt. I admire your effort and wish I could learn to do that because I often get low-res puzzles for reading.

25 minutes ago, Van said:

Yes, I know how to enlarge it. I'm asking about your ability to read even this low resolution.

I mean I can guess some parts of it even as it was. But small pieces that you cannot guess by logic, like the first kanji in the name?  How can you be sure about it?

Again, it's not that I doubt. I admire your effort and wish I could learn to do that because I often get low-res puzzles for reading.

Maybe because it is my native language.

• Love 6

On 2/19/2023 at 2:52 PM, Volker62 said:

Gentleman 

here enlarged again.

thank you again for your effort!:thumbs:

Maybe you can do a hi-resolution of the inside, too? A close-up on the red seals would be nice, maybe they are readable as well.

On 2/19/2023 at 3:43 PM, Van said:

After seeing the fine picture, I must apologize for my mistake. 

The first name is 徹夫 - Tetsuo. 

• Like 3

Thank you Mr. Volker for the good resolution. The bottom seal is much worn out, I can distinguish only 1 top-right character and a part of top-left. There's 4  characters there.

Maybe a top seal close-up could also be uploaded?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..