Samurai with multiple Nihonto?

This is a random question I just thought of.  Googling it doesn't come up with good results because the answer is: yes, samurai wore TWO swords. Same with searching NMB.  My question is: Was it at all heard of for samurai to collect more than the swords they wore?  Similar to collecting multiple koshirae?  I'm guessing the answer is: "sure, if they could afford it" but I'm just curious as to how common that was if at all.

• Like 1

Very common - a well-to-do household would have had a stockpile of swords for various occasions and for gift-giving. Certain ranks were expected to give swords of a set value at annual ceremonies for the Shogun and others. This is why there are many gimei to well known smiths there was demand for swords signed by such and that was one way to meet that demand...

-t

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Absolutely -

There were restrictions on the length of sword and the look of it's koshirae when on official duty - thus we have many swords with black scabbards and Goto-esque fittings. But off-duty you could wear pretty much what you wanted according to your taste and your pocketbook. If you were rich enough you change your sword according to the time of year, event or location or you could have one favorite sword and a dozen koshirae to choose from. There was nothing that said you had to wear a specific sword (only koshirae) for a specific occasion...

-t

• Like 6

Tom has been spot on and that is a great drawing. But to add one part of nuance- yes very common among well to do samurai or those with rank, if not even expected. 

However, the lower levels of samurai society, that would have outnumbered the highest (typical triangle type of hierarchy), often struggled to get their required two swords and all the other “symbols” of their position and could often be found poor or struggling. 

This dynamic worsened as the Edo period grew on, some great memoirs out there about destitute samurai toward the end. I only highlight to remind folks being a samurai didn’t necessarily equal being well off in society or even in any great position of power. 

Some different dynamics with earlier bushi (Kamakura and earlier) with smaller warbands and houses etc. so the requirements to be “samurai” were probably higher and more wealth concentrated, but I’ve droned on enough. Hope that helped with the answer. 

• Like 4

There was a good Markus Sesko article on the price of swords, it was a monumental investment to purchase or commission a good sword for a regular Samurai. If memory serves me correctly it was multiple years of wages. Daimyo were also recorded as having provided swords for their retainers in some cases.

Edit: here are the articles

https://markussesko.com/2019/09/06/breakdown-of-price-for-sword-blade/

https://nihonto.com/samurai-income/

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I can't speak for all of them but Yanagisawa Yoshiyasu,  a powerful Samurai who was an official in the shogunate(17th century), had a vast amount of swords, mostly gifted by Tokugawa shogun Tsunayoshi.

Tsunayoshi himself also had huge interest in swords and fittings. Apparently, he loved to gift swords :) 

Excerpts from the book -  In the Shelter of the Pine: (His Highness: Shogun Tsunayoshi Lord: Yoshiyasu)

- When the soup and saké were offered to His Highness, he bestowed a long sword made by one Hōki no Yasutsuna. For My Lord’s wife, silver and some splendid silks. For his eldest son, a sword that bore the name “Rai Kunitoshi.” For his second son, a sword forged by Aoe Tsugunao.

- In the autumn, on the occasion of His Highness’s visit, the baby had his first audience and was presented with a long sword forged by Aritoshi as well as other gifts.

- My Lord devoted himself more assiduously than ever to serving His Highness..His Highness personally presented him with a long sword called Aoe.

- The gifts presented to His Highness were, from My Lord: a long sword forged by Kagemitsu; a horse and saddle; a sword forged by Rai Kunimitsu

- On the second of the Eighth Month, the Central Hall was completed. That such a huge structure had been built so swiftly and now appeared in all its shining glory! Needless to say, His Highness was delighted. Straightaway he presented My Lord with a sword and fittings forged by Masamune

- His Highness presented him with the short sword called “Masamitsu” from his own hand

- From His Highness, there was a long sword forged by Kunimune of Bizen and silk floss, and the same for the young lord, who received a beautiful long sword called “Kobore Sadamune,” or something like that.

- “We are most grateful for your efforts over the past year,” the Heir Apparent said as he presented My Lord with a long sword forged by Mitsutada of Bizen

- From His Highness, there was a long sword forged by Kunimune of Bizen and silk floss, and the same for the young lord, who received a beautiful long sword called “Kobore Sadamune,” or something like that.

- My Lord presented His Highness with a sword forged by Yoshisada; and the Chamberlain presented him with a sword by Rai Kunitoshi and a short sword by Kanemitsu. Great effort had been expended on the fittings, which were gorgeous and glittered with silver and gold.

- And goes on...

Strongly recommend this memoir, written by Ogimachi Machiko, second concubine of Yoshiyasu.

• Like 4

I believe Sakamoto Ryōma owned at least 5-7 swords. As it was many years ago when friend took me to exhibition of his in Tokyo, so I cannot remember the exact number. This was the exhibition: https://www.edo-tokyo-museum.or.jp/en/s-exhibition/special/15055/没後150年 坂本龍馬/

He is the only samurai whose several swords I have seen in person. Of course he did live at the end of Edo period and was very influential figure. So very different from earlier average samurai.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Jussi Ekholm said:

I believe Sakamoto Ryōma owned at least 5-7 swords. As it was many years ago when friend took me to exhibition of his in Tokyo, so I cannot remember the exact number. This was the exhibition: https://www.edo-tokyo-museum.or.jp/en/s-exhibition/special/15055/没後150年 坂本龍馬/

He is the only samurai whose several swords I have seen in person. Of course he did live at the end of Edo period and was very influential figure. So very different from earlier average samurai.

Awww the museum is closed..I was planning to go there next month..

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..