The Condition of Tsuba

roger dundas

I trust that the picture of this tsuba presently for sale on e-bay is clear enough?

My reason for this post is to comment on it's condition and to wonder and ask why it has been allowed to fall into this state?

Personally i really like the design and the work of the maker and find it disappointing to see it like this.

So how does something like this become so down in condition? The Japanese have this powerful ethic of looking after and revering their cultural possessions and treasures, a truly admirable thing so what happened?

Was it the devastation of the last war, the fire ravaged cities which must have included items like this in some households.

From time to time tsuba appear that once were fine, meticulously made pieces but now badly rusted and showing neglect.

Why, do you think that might be?

Roger j

tsuba poor condition (2).jpg

• Like 1

Hi Roger

First that is a beautifull Tsuba. 

Second it has lost patination. I heard a story that a famous tsuba connoisseur stored some tsuba in shoebox outside under his veranda to improve patination. He died and the tsuba were forgotten. So they rusted and after cleaning they lost all the patination.

I didn't know if this story is true, but i think that many tsuba also in Japan are badly stored and rust.

This one looks like rusted too and cleaned in petroleum over some days and weeks.

A restauration would help.

I bought that tsuba from a member here and after restoration it comes out very nice. I like it.

image.thumb.jpeg.3d22e525a9d76f1270e7ce6ec815b946.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hi Roger. I think it as Chris said; tsuba were often badly stored or stored in humid locations. My wife's family, who are Japanese, buried their swords in oiled rage in the hill behind their home so the Japanese soldiers would not take them when they pretty much looted the homes for scrap metal during the war. Surely many swords were damaged in similar ways.  It is a beautiful tsuba despite patina.  Regards, John

• Thanks 1

Glad to see that you both,Chris and John think this is a beautiful tsuba as I do but people's taste vary for various reasons and influences so it was reassuring.

I'm not a buyer here but would have if it was in better condition or if I could have done the repatination that you achieved Chris.:thumbsup:

Roger j

Sometimes having neglected pieces restore by professionals is a worth endeavor in my experience. It depends greatly by the piece quality. I have always approached restoration from an artistic point of view rather than monetary. 

Regards

Luca

• Like 2
  • Love 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..