Three Tanto from an Estate

Promo

In a German forum a collector of German Militaria posted of an estate he had purchased. He had to buy all of the estate, so he ended up with three Tanto, which he originally did not want to have. Since his English isn't the best he had approached me if I on his behalf can post them in here to get additional opinions on the blades.

The deceased owner seems to have purchased all three in Japan from the nowadays still existing dealer Japan Sword Co. Ltd. One blade was purchased in 1966 whereas the other two were purchased in 1968. All three come with "appraisal sheets", stating by who they were made and from which period they are.

Since neither though comes with NBTHK certificate and the "appraisal sheets" only mention the inscription and not go into detail if gimei or not I'd appreciate any opinions on authenticity of them. They all appear to be out of polish and seems they were stored in their fittings ever since purchased.

For the size of the files (and the huge amount of pictures he had provided me) I uploaded them to Google Drive. Please therefore follow these links:

1. Tanto (quite long at 30cm) attributed to Kanetomi: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1QKPIjkgnkCafNMSB4edjEzsQFOWzo90E
  2. Tanto attributed to Soshu ju Yasutsugu: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1DhaYeIoleRFVyyog9by1ynwI-mJZIUoJ
  3. Tanto attributed to Rai Kunitoshi: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1AZCmYe3AGzIfeJvN77X26bfVV1e73dz9

Thanks in advance (on his behalf)!

• Like 3

Very nice finds imo. In need of a little love and restoration, but as a cherry on top of the estate I wouldn't complain! Do you know if he is he planning to keep or sell them? My suggestion for him would be to resubmit at least the kunitoshi and if shoshin, restore it and (if unwanted as stated) reclaim a chunk of the estates price. If he doesn't want to... well here's a german collector with open arms, who would definitely take a shot! :laughing: I really like the crab themed tosogu as well. :) 

• Like 1

Dear George.

As you know opinions based on images are not likely to be consitent here but for what it's worth I think the first one is probably right based on workmanship and the koshirae is/will be nice.  The second is also interesting with orikaeshi mei though I can't see enough to be convinced about the mei.  The rustic koshirae I also find interesting.  The last one, as Domink suggests, is the big question and if rght worth full restoration without  a doubt.  

If you look up Inami Hakusui you wil find out all about him but thought eh paper work is nice to have and should stay with the items it is not regarded as conclusive.

Love to know how this story ends, you sure have a knack for finding interesting stuff!

All the best.

Thanks for the comments so far. I'll ask him to clean the tang with oil soaked clothing, maybe this makes the signatures better visible/readable and would allow better judgements.

In the meantime a personal comment on the first blade: the hi look very poorly executed, different depth, not really straight, etc. Or am I'm too critical upon those and for the period they originate they are good enough?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..